Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Happy Birthday, Buddha


Today is the day many Buddhists celebrate the birth of the historical Buddha, Prince Siddartha Guatama. No one knows exactly what year he was born, but most agree that it was over 2000 years ago. Of course, upon achieving enlightenment, the Buddha realized that he had lived many previous lives as a result of reincarnation, so his actual birthdate is irrelevant. Mine is not however. I expect the world to celebrate my birthday for the next 2000 years and beyond. Buddhists reject attachment to material possessions, but since most of my friends and family are Christians (a religion that encourages the giving of material gifts to honor the birth of its spiritual leader Jesus), then I expect nice birthday presents and Christmas presents from all of you. When I move on to my next life, I also expect you to celebrate my birthday by recognizing it as an official national holiday. I expect people to take off from work, patronize a local watering hole, and then come to work the next day completely hung over and cursing my name. Okay, I've digressed.


The point is that today we honor the life and teachings of one of the world's most influential spiritual guides. A lover of peace, a seeker of happiness, a discoverer of enlightenment, the Buddha still ushers the citizens of the universe away from the path of suffering toward the path of pure bliss, or Nirvana. (Not the band.) Thanks for that, Buddha. Happy Birthday.


(The photo was taken at the Buddhist temple in Guangzhou, China where a monk blessed our little Truman. Very cool.)

No comments: