Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Football Player

We signed Alex up for tackle football this year expecting it to be similar to his experiences in baseball and basketball. We figured he'd practice once a week and play a few games. No big time commitment, but he'd still have a good time. Well last night was the first practice and we learned a little more about what we got ourselves into.

The team is made up of 3rd & 4th graders from Southern Boone County. They will practice four nights per week. They will play 7 to 10 games including away games in towns as far as Moberly, Fulton, Hallsville, and Jeff City. Each kid will play at least six plays per game, but this is not simply a "just for fun" league. The coaches aim to win every game, while making the experience enjoyeable for all the kids. In short, my baby, my son Alex is playing on a real football team in a real football league.

How did this happen? How is it that I have a child old enough to be playing tackle football? How is it that the child of two band geeks is a football player? It just doesn't seem possible, but when I saw Alex in his full uniform with pads and helmet running drills last night, it seemed all too real. That being said, I am actually quite excited about watching him play. I think he's really going to enjoy it. He wants to play linebacker because, as he said last year during flag football, "Dad, I just wanna HIT somebody! I'm all twitchy." That sounds like a linebacker's mentality to me.

Wish Alex, and whoever the poor kids are who will be unlucky enough to get in his way, good luck. I'll keep you posted on his progress/medical bills.

No comments: