Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Revisionist History


"Naked Snow Angels" is one step closer to completion. I just finished the first revision of my manuscript and will be heading to Kinko's to print a couple copies off. I will send these to a couple of people whom I trust to edit and critique my book. This makes me more anxious than writing the 25 chapter, 262 page manuscript in the first place.

This book is more than the story of my life--writing it has become my life's work. I have realized after years of bouncing around from one job to another and never feeling satisfied with any particular occupation, that I just hadn't stumbled upon what I was really cut out to be--a writer. It isn't that I'm allergic to good old fashioned hard work or that I'm just extremely lazy. It turns out that some people are butchers, some are salesmen, some are groundskeepers, and some are writers.

I think the book I have created is actually pretty damn good. The process has been very interesting as the manuscript has evolved from a novel, to a collection of random essays, and finally into cohesive memoir that while not written in a strictly chronological order, flows naturally from start to finish. There are stories from my childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, and my life as a husband and father. I've included a good balance of humorous, cringe worthy, poignant, and enlightening material that I think will leave the reader looking forward to my next book.

And I have several more books in me. At first, I wasn't sure that I had enough material to write one full-length book, but now I know that the wealth of experiences that I have to draw story ideas from is virtually limitless. The question now becomes, will anyone in the publishing world take a chance and buy my book? After making my final revisions, hopefully in the next few weeks, I will start sending out queries to literary agents and editors in the hope that someone in New York City will give an old country boy a shot.

Thanks for your support and stay tuned for further updates.

No comments: