Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Hope, Love, & Grandbabies

 Although I imagined that it would happen when I was a little bit older, becoming a grandfather was always something that had looked forward to. When my granddaughter Freya was born last September, I immediately discovered that there is never a wrong time to become a grandparent.

Aside from the inconvenience of being born during a pandemic, Freya’s timing was pretty close to perfect. Having a baby in the house has made the isolation caused by Covid precautions bearable. Yes, I’ve missed attending concerts and sporting events with friends and having large get-togethers with extended family, but having Freya to snuggle with has been immensely good for my soul.


I’m also grateful that Freya came into my life while I am still relatively young and healthy. Being able get down on the floor to play with her AND get back up again is a real plus. I can’t remember a time when my grandfather was fit enough to do that, but I can distinctly recall my grandmother joining my brother and I on the floor to play games such as Cootie and Yahtzee when we were littleThose are some of my most treasured memories of Grandma Sweetie Pie.


The last year has been tough for everyone, myself included. Just as the world shut down last March, Grandma passed away in her assisted-living facility. Due to Covid restrictions, I had to say goodbye to her through her window moments before she drew her last breath. Only ten people were allowed to attend her funeral, and we had to remain six feet apart.


It’s hard to properly console grieving loved-one from six feet away.

 

That same month, the best job I ever had—a temporary, one-year gig as a music teacher—ended abruptly and unceremoniously when schools were closed down. A few weeks later, my intense depression caused me to reach out to a medical professional whcorrectly concluded that I had been suffering from bipolar disorder. 


Medication and being mindful of my mood changes has helped me feel better, but living with a mental illness during a deadly pandemic, a divisive presidential election, and several changes in my personal life has been a challenge. 


Then along came Freya.


I didn’t think it was possible to love another child as much as I love my own children, but it didn’t take long after Freya joined our family to realize how wrong I was. That little girl is literally the light of my life. I can’t imagine how dark and gloomy this last winter would have been without her around to cheer me up. 


Freya’s smile can warm the coldest of hearts, and her laugh is more intoxicating than any drug. The sound of her voice is music to my ears—even when she cries. And she has her old Pop’s good looks—as well as his sense of humor.


I think it is fair to say that Freya is my best friend. Because she and her parents live with us, I’ve been able to spend a lot of time getting to know my little buddy. Since I stopped taking subbing assignments, we get to hang out even moreyet I still can’t get enough her. And now that I’m fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, I can finally hold that beautiful baby without wearing a mask!


For over six months, I wore a mask every time I was within three feet of my grandbaby. Until this week, I wore a mask every single time I held Freya, fed her, took a nap with her, and changed her diaper. (I was secretly glad to wear a mask when changing some of those diapers.) 


I was diligent about mask-wearing because I had been working in a crowded primary school almost every day since Freya was born, and I would never have forgiven myself if I had inadvertently brought the virus home to her. My after-school ritual was to shower, change clothes, and put on a clean mask as soon as I got home from work each day. I wore a mask for eight hours each day at school and then for several more hours each evening at home. And I did it gladly.


But not anymore. 


The first time I held my granddaughter without wearing a mask I inhaled deeply, hoping to finally smell that sweet baby scent that everyone raves about. My first reaction? When was the last time this kid had a bath? Then I kissed her on top of her stinky baby head for the first time ever and smiled the happiest smile I’ve smiled in a lifetime of smiling.

 

This pandemic is far from over, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is hope. There is love. And there are grandbabies. Do them and yourself a favor: get vaccinated as soon as you can, and wear your mask and maintain social distancing until then. If we all do our part to keep each other safe until we develop herd immunity, then we’ll all be back to kissing babies before we know it.

No comments: