Wednesday, June 09, 2021

A Naughton “Normal”

 As more and more Americans become vaccinated against the coronavirus, (or develop antibodies after being exposed to it), the United States is getting closer and closer to reaching herd immunity. Thankfully, this means that life in our great nation is finally beginning to return to normal. 

 

“Normal” for me is the return of car shows and classic car cruise-ins. Last weekend’s Anchorfest Car Show in Centralia, Missouri, was the first car-related event I have attended in over a year, and it was just what I needed.

 

Last Saturday’s car show took place in the town square of Centralia on a warm, sunny day that made me think that perhaps the monsoons that have soaked us over the last few weeks might actually be coming to an end, along with the pandemic. I even got a slight sunburn on my left arm, which anyone who’s driven an old car without air-conditioning on a hot day is familiar with.

 

It was the first road trip my family and I have taken in my 1965 Oldsmobile 442 since I bought it in December, and I’m happy to report that it performed flawlessly while ferrying Bethany, Truman, Tiana, and me from Ashland to Centralia and back again. Far from a show-quality car, my 442 is a driver”, so I didn’t enter it in the competition. did park it nearby though, just so the stray automotive aficionado might catch a glimpse of its patina goodness.

 

I was blown away by the quantity and quality of cars that were on display that day. From a 98-year-old Ford Model T to a brand-new, mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette, a wide variety of collector vehicles lined block after block. My favorite was a 1966 Mustang fastback that had been beautifully refinished in gorgeous black paint and a fitted with a five-speed manual transmission.

 

As nice as it was to see a bunch of cool cars in person, it was even nicer to see a bunch of cool people in person once again. Being outdoors and vaccinated meant that everyone could enjoy the car show without masks. It was refreshing to see so many smiling faces and to talk with folks like we used to do before the pandemic.

 

I know that not everyone who was at Anchorfest was vaccinated. I know there are still risks in gathering with large groups of people. I also know that if everyone who is holding out on getting their shots would just hurry up and get it over with, things will get back to normal in no time.

 

Covid-19 does not care about anyone’s political affiliation. It does not care about conspiracy theories. Covid-19 will continue to make people sick and it will continue to kill those who are vulnerable as long as folks refuse to get their shots. If we want to get fully back to normal and enjoy car shows, concerts, ball games, weddings, birthday parties, and indoor dining like we used to, then everyone needs do their part and get vaccinated. 

 

If we want to be able to visit our loved-ones in nursing homes or hospitals, if we want to surprise our kids at school with a Happy Meal for lunch, if we want to hold our newborn grandbabies without wearing a mask, then we all need to be immunized.

 

For me, a return to normal also means a return to searching far and wide for my next classic car. Yes, I already own a small fleet of vehicles, and no, I don’t NEED another car, but I can’t think of anything that feels more normal to me than pursuing my passion for collecting old cars and trucks. At this moment, there’s a 1969 Chevy Impala near Kansas City that needs a new home, and Im pretty sure I can find at least one more parking space at the Naughton homestead.

 

There’s another car show this Saturday in Fulton. Maybe I’ll enter a car or two (and maybe an old truck, too) just for fun. Maybe you’ll see me there or at another car show or cruise soon. I’ll be easy to spot. Just look for the guy with the great big smile on his face.

No comments: