Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day, etc...

First and foremost, I hope everyone takes the time to thank a veteran for their contributions to this great country of ours. Never confuse political disagreements with a lack of support for our troops. I appreciate the sacrifices that our men and women in the military have made and continue to make everyday.

"Your mother wears combat boots!" That's a derogatory expression many of you have probably heard over the years. To me, it is a compliment. My mother was in the United States Marine Corps. As Mom says, "Yeah, and I drive a tank to church!" My battle cry as a kid was, "My mom can beat up your dad!" Seriously, thank you Mom for having the courage to leave behind a laid back California-girl lifestyle in favor of service to your country at a time when it was not a very popular choice to support your government during the Vietnam War. You are a great example and an inspiration to women who have since gone on to have outstanding military careers.

I would have moved to Canada during the Vietnam War. 55,000 Americans died in a country many couldn't have found on a map prior to their service there. Countless young men dodged the draft by fleeing north and were branded as cowards because they refused to die in a war they felt was unjust. My dad didn't dodge the draft. In fact, he didn't wait around to get drafted. Although being in college would have exempted him for being drafted, Dad volunteered to go to Vietnam. He felt that it was his duty. The Marines were his branch of choice, and sure enough, he did go to Vietnam. Luckily, he survived the experience, although he would be forever transformed by the ordeal. Thanks Dad for having the guts to do what you thought was right.

My dad's brother, my uncle Mike, went to Vietnam in the AirForce. He, too was a brave young man who volunteered rather than wait to get drafted. He too was forever changed by his experiences. I remember a conversation with Mike in early 2003 when he said, " I sure hope we don't go into Iraq." He knew what most Americans now believe- war with Iraq would not make us or them any better off. We should take the time to listen to our vets once in a while. Thanks, Uncle Mike for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in.

My grandfather, Aldace Naughton, Jr received a Purple Heart for his service in World War II. He was wounded fighting the Japanese during the darkest hours of human history. I look forward to watching Clint Eastwood's new movie "Flags of our Fathers." It documents the battle for Iwo Jima when the Flag was raised by those brave Marines who survived one of the bloodiest battles in the war. Young men like my grandfather were slaughtered by the thousands trying to take island after island in the Pacific. People like my Uncle Jim Naughton fought Hitler's army in Europe at the same time. Jim was in the "Battle of the Bulge" and after surviving the Second World War served in the Korean War as well. Thank everyone from that generation for your freedom today. The world would be a radically different place without the sacrifices that our soldiers, sailors, and Marines made during those years.

In high school, I had the bright idea that I should join the Marines, too. I enlisted into the Marine Corps Reserves. After making it 2/3 of the way thru bootcamp, my knees gave out and I was issued an "entry level separation". This meant that I was never there, that I was never a member of the military, and therefore could not collect disability benefits. The trade off was that I would be home in time for my first semester of college rather than having to wait in limbo for up to 18 months in San Diego for a medical discharge that would have entitle me to benefits. The way I looked at it, I could still walk, which was more than a lot of veterans could say. I was lucky. In fact, I was so lucky that six months later, the first Gulf War broke out and the reserve unit that I would have joined was activated and deployed to Iraq. They were combat engineers. They built airstrips, base camps, and temporary bridges, etc. I later found out that some of them were ordered to use their bulldozers to bury Iraqi fighters alive in their trenches. I guess my sore knees were a blessing afterall.

So on this Veterans Day, please remember the sacrifices our men and women in the military have made for us. Without them, I would not have the freedom to blog and you would not have the freedom to read the rantings of a 35 year old goofball in mid-Missouri. Thank you Veterans!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may not have accomplished a lot in my life by some people's standards but I did two things really well - I was an active duty United States Marine and I raised 2 free-thinking, considerate, fun, intelligent, caring young men who became outstanding adults.