Monday, November 27, 2006

Blog "Karma" Daddy

To those of you who have come to expect frequent posts on this blog, I must apologize. There has been a lot going on in my life lately that has prevented me from blogging as often as I would like. An horrific event that was revealed to me by a loved one has been weighing heavily on my mind. It has left me virtually unable to think of anything else. I cannot elaborate upon the details, but those people affected by the shocking revelation are painfully aware of that event to which I am referring. To make things worse, another loved one revealed an injustice that had been perpetrated against her this morning.
Questions and thoughts about justice, morality, pain, revenge, and redemption have been plaguing me.

In my brief exposure to Buddhism, I have learned that the Buddhist's goal in life is to relieve human suffering. I have also learned a little bit about Karma. Karma is the good and bad energy that you put into your life-force. Your life-force is eternal and allows beings to live multiple lifetimes in many different forms. You and I are now in human form but depending on how much good or bad Karma we add to our life-force, we may be something entirely different in our next life. Those with enough good Karma may progress to a higher spiritual plane in the next life. They may become free of pain and suffering. They may become enlightened beings well on their way to achieving Nirvana, or a state of pure bliss and contentment (the Buddhist approximation to Heaven.) Easing suffering, living well, acting morally, are all ways to add good Karma.

People who taint their life-force with bad Karma are destined to be reincarnated as a less advanced life form. For example, a person who tortures animals may become a dog in his next life. He could become a cockroach. His Karma will decide his fate, depending on how he lived his most recent life (or lives.) After several lifetimes of being the best cockroach, dog, or whatever that he can be, his life-force may be reincarnated as a human once again. Perhaps in that lifetime he will add enough good Karma to advance toward Nirvana. The cycle only stops when Nirvana is achieved and he becomes a Buddha, or Enlightened One.

I believe that a person who could commit the attrocious act that has set my mind to work could be reincarnated as a virus. To scientists, a virus is the most primative form of life in the known universe. It would take a thousand lifetimes to build up enough good Karma from this lowly state to become human again. Perhaps in that amount of time, the perpetrator's and victim's paths will cross again and a better outcome will result. One cannot tell what the future holds. I can only hope that the suffering of my loved ones will end.

I need to go meditate a while.

1 comment:

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Thanks, Jag. Nothing is sorted out yet, but at least the 16 inches of snow has given me something else to think about.