Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Jesus was a carpenter

"Where has Travis been? Why hasn't he been blogging? Is working 34 hours a week too much for poor, lazy Travis?" Hold it right there! I have been very busy with a project that when completed will rival the pyramids and the Great Wall in scope and magnificence.

For years I have wanted to build a clubhouse for Alex, a bar for myself, and a covered deck suitable for entertaining. After careful planning I have combined all three. I am currently building a 16'x12' deck. Half will be covered and sided with a rustic bar and room for my new foosball table. The roof of this bar area will double as a clubhouse for Alex with a railing all the way around to prevent "flying" experiments. In effect, I am building a two-story party porch. There is even room for a patio furniture set on the "open-air" half of the deck as well. It will all be decorated in an " old bait shop" theme complete with family fishing pictures, old fishing tackle, and antique fishing signs. Phase two of the development will include a small fish pond located on the east side of the deck. The project is located in the middle "island" of our circle drive, nicely nestled in a bunch of trees which help camoflauge the rather large, yet rustic structure.

I have to thank Grant Barnes for his help in getting the corner posts and floor joists set. Also, Alex has been a big help- most of the time. Mostly, I'd like to thank my wife for greenlighting the budget for this project. I may not be a carpenter, but like any contractor, I am over budget and behind schedule. So far, the first level is almost done complete with railings and stairs. I hope to finish the rest this week.

I will post pictures as soon as I am done. Then, I invite everyone to come share a beer and some fish stories on the porch. (No nit-picking my handiwork, please. Unless you bring beer.)

2 comments:

Seamhead said...

Travis, have you ever heard the old John Prine songs "Grandpa was a Carpenter" or "Jesus, the missing years?" I think they'd be right up your alley.

Anonymous said...

Blog Daddy, maybe this fine establishment you are building is the place where we should meet!

I built a teepee for my kids the other day. They loved it. Qty 6 of 8ft long 2"x2"s,a roll of Gorilla tape, an old shower curtain, an old painter drop cloth, some red decorative yarn, and leftover spray paint for animal drawings and the wild natives moved in.

Howdy