Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Perfect Storm

My friend and yours, Bill Herrin, called me the other day. We had a good chat. He discussed the seven old computers his wife wanted him to get rid of that are taking up space in their basement. He has them running a program that is doing some "gene sequencing" or something intended to cure Alzheimer's. That is a more noble cause than the peroid of time where he had upwards of twenty salvaged computers running a program that simulates the random keystrokes of monkeys sitting at computers typing Shakespeare plays. (One monkey typed the first 28 characters of Hamlet.)

We talked about my tailgatin' truck and party porch. I told Bill that I had him in mind when I built the deck. I said it was built to withstand Hurricane Herrin forces. Then Bill asked if it could weather himself, Grant Barnes, John Briscoe, AND...(wait for it)... Scott Straub all at once. Instantly I was both terrified and intruigued. How good are my construction skills? We're talking about a half- ton of humanity here. Throw in a little beer and voila- The Perfect Storm. But as terrifying as this scenario seems, it could be worse. The sage words of wisdom that Bill spoke that day still resonate in my head: "If we do get together, we can't let Zane Paschal find out."

Good call, Bill. Good call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last time I was with Zane,
he was driving golf balls down the dorm hallway at S.M.S.U.
Some unsuspecting sole from the stairway, dashed out into middle of the new 7th floor driving rage. Probably coming to query about the repeating sound of the golf ball SLAMMING against the RA’s door. His first clue to the source of the sound was now recoiling off the side of his head.
He awoke to a stranger (Zane) standing over him with a club, “Hey man! I said 4!”

Zane Paschal-breaker off things… and people too.

~Martin