Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Seeking Inspiration

I need your help. Back in the days of my retirement, I had a lot of time on my hands to come up with new ideas for recreation and entertainment. I went fishing and hiking, played all kinds of sports with Alex, I blogged a lot and even dabbled in an ill-timed novel. I sold cars and painted a tailgating truck or three. I tailgated, roadtripped, tried to learn to play guitar, and even got a library card. But since I started working again, the untamed Travis has been forced to live in a scheduled, compartmentalized rut. Things aren't all bad, I have a lot of fun with my family and work is going well, but you know me. I gotta be me! I have to live life a little differently than most people. I cannot be normal. I refuse to be an Average Joe. My steadfast refusal to work a 40 hour week is my last protest against completely selling out to "the man" and joining the real world for good.

I challenge you to come up with some ideas that will help me keep the real world at bay a little longer. I need inspiration. No suggestion is too outrageous. Think of whatever it is you wish you could do but the restrictions of your reality are preventing you from trying. Then give me the chance to do it. Live vicariously through me. I will consider anything. I am on a tight budget, but I will try to find a way. Let me live your dreams. Of course I will blog all about my (our) adventures in exuisite detail so you will feel like you are a part of the action. Let's make some memories, shall we?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a second life. You can develop one at www.secondlife.com
Your friend and mine,
Bill Herrin

mlkirchw said...

Hey buddy....how 'bout dem Tigers?

Anywho...this is something crazy I stumbled upon while trying to find a job...a blog entitled "10 reasons not to ever get a job" (I googled "get a job fast"). In perusing through this guy's site I found a wealth of information about achieving exactly the goal you desire. Hell, I'm giving it a try! The site is StevePavlina.com...check out the article "How to make money from your blog".

Anonymous said...

You have a flair for the written word and absolutely should persue writing something, anything.

Anonymous said...

I also suggest writing a short (no pun intended)stand up act, and trying it out on an open mic night. Being in front of people making them laugh is a huge rush I would recommend to any one.

Violent Farmer

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

I knew I could count on my minions, er, I mean fans for some great ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Anonymous said...

heh "develop a second life at www.secondlife.com" 'I dont care who you are...thats funy'

I dunno man, seems like we have tried a lot of the same things. Hell I have been a car salesman, store manager, restaurant manager, construction, landscaping blah blah blah.

Currently I am going after Voice Acting. I actually just landed my first gig giving voice to a "Biker" in a video game. Lots of money to made as a Voice Talent. and except for most Major Hollywood/New York entertainment fields, most of it can be dome from home.

Audio Books, Games, Commercials, etc. Took me a long time to figure out that running my mouth was my 'gift', and now I plan on getting paid for it. Maybe you should too! :P

~Martin

Anonymous said...

ps its perfect for you.
you could get paid to read a book, while sitting naked in a bean bag chair eating cheetos!

~Martin

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

A "Second Life" is an interesting idea, but it reminds me of those Dungeons and Dragons nerds that live in an alternate reality (i.e. Their parents' basements).

Steve Pavlina does have too much time on his hands doesn't he?. I like what he's done with it though. I don't think I have the energy or computer savvy to make my blog earn $40,000 a month like his does. Wow.

My goats are pygmies, which would make milking them difficult at best. Plus, one of them is male- Yuck!

Voice artist? That's a solid idea. I have been an unpaid voice artist my whole life. I may pick Marty's brain on this topic. Naked Cheetos?! You do know me well.

Last, but certainly not least, Paulie the Violent Farmer. You are an inspiration to short, quirky men everywhere. You turned your comedy skills into a sideline career (and perhaps a full-time gig in the future.) Why can't I? I am an entertainer. I could use Mom's suggestion to persue writing and parlay it into a stand-up act. I'm no stranger to being on stage (remind me to write about the time I ran for student council president in high school.) You may be on to something, Paulie. I'll be in touch...