Sunday, April 20, 2008

Anger & Resentment

"If those who are like wanton children
Are by nature prone to injure others,
What point is there in being angry--
Like resenting fire for its heat?"

-Bodhicaryavatara

According to Buddha, we alone are responsible for our emotions. Outside forces do not determine our mood. Our reaction to external things is what causes us to suffer. What sense does it make to curse the rain for being wet? It is what it is. Resenting things for their nature is a waste of energy. Instead, we should accept things for what they are and focus on their positive qualities. Instead of resenting fire for burning us, we should be thankful that it keeps us warm in winter. Instead of resenting rain for washing out a camping trip, we should reflect on the life that a good rain will sustain. Instead of being angry when someone close to our hearts hurts us, we should remind ourselves why we love them in the first place. Then, negative feelings are replaced with positive ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The entire chapter is like this, your blog put me in mind of it,

The Scroll Marked II

...I will greet the day with love in my heart…
…I will love the sun for it warms my bones, yet I will love the rain for it cleanses my spirit.
I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. I will welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness for it opens my soul. I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due; yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge…

Og Mandino
The Greatest Salesman in the World


~Martin