Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Mom, etc...

For those of you who didn't hear, my mom had brain surgery on Thursday. Successful brain surgery. After checking the follow-up MRI, the doctor said he was confident that he got the whole tumor out. Just hours after the operation, Mom was sitting up in her chair in ICU, eating a full dinner and cracking wise. On Friday, she was moved out of ICU to a regular room. Her condition changed hour by hour. At times, she was looking and sounding like her old self. At other times she leaned toward her left side, couldn't walk on her own, and suffered temporary paralysis on the left side of her face. All those symptoms have since gone away for the most part, so it appears that she is on the road to recovery. In fact, she got to go home yesterday. Blake is staying with her for a few days before he has to go back to Baltimore. If she still isn't back to 100% by then, she will come stay with us in our home until such time as she can manage safely on her own. Of course she is so stubborn that she is just sure that she can manage on her own right now and is growing increasingly tired of her sons "bossing her around." We told her this may be our only chance to torture her, so we better make the most of it while we can. It really is amazing that a person can have their skull sawed open, a chunk of their brain removed, and then be home watching NASCAR on TV two days later. (No, that is not a commentary on watching NASCAR.) Thanks to all of you who have sent along well-wishes, warm thoughts, and prayers. It means a lot to all of us.

In other news, it is fun to hear people's various reactions to the news that I am "retiring" from my job. Here is one email I got from a very dear friend from my childhood, Matt Ferguson:

"Travis,

I love you man.
I’ve had a couple of really shitty weeks and along comes bloggdaddy to cheer me up. Lately life has been, well a lot like what my Texas friends might say, “ like wipen’ yer ass with a hula hoop, …the shit just never ends.” Congrats on your successful run at the store. I wish you a wonderful retirement."

Another comment from my friend Jeff Arrigo: "Travis, You really do rock, dude. I mean it."

Yet another person commented, "I think you're making a mistake. You have the easiest job in the world. I'll trade you jobs for a day anytime."

Another comment left me quite amused. "So he's fine with letting his wife make all the money? I guess he doesn't care about being a man."

Well let me tell you: A real man is secure enough in his manhood to allow his wife to be the principle breadwinner.

A real man takes time off from work to look after his seriously ill mother.

A real man takes time off from work to spend quality time with his kid.

A real man realizes that because day-care for his child during summer vacation would cost $100 per week ($400-$500 per month) and fuel for driving to and from work would be another $250 per month, that over half his income would be spent on those two things, and because he and his wife have sacrificed for years to become debt-free, they no longer need two incomes to make ends meet.

A real man lives his own life without concern of what other people think. And that pretty much sums me up, don't you think.

Thanks again for all your love and support, everyone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that your mom's recovery is going well!
I will keep her in my thoughts. Tell your brother 'Hello'.
About the Nascar comment, you have opened yourself up for punishment. Now if you would have said that she was DRIVING a Nascar, two days later, then I would say that the surgery was a success!
Lucky bastard, congratulations on finding a sugar-momma!
I'm still looking for one myself, but in the meantime I have been told that I have good swimmers, and will become a father of three come December.
Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.
Trey Latta

Unknown said...

You do what ever you want to do but I don't know about the part about you not being concerned with what other people think. You seemed to get a little offended by this persons comments. Just a thought. On a different note I am glad Donna is doing well.
Grant

Anonymous said...

Trav - I'm so glad that your Mom is doing so well. That is so scary.
Tell her the Wealers have been thinking about her and hope her the
best. Tell Blake to take it easy and you too. Summer is almost here.
Maybe we'll see you then.
As for the retirement thing - I just figured I would retire before you
did. Oh well. It wouldn't be the first time I made a crazy
assumption.
Love, Mrs. W (Holly Wealer)

Anonymous said...

Well, I sure am glad that your mother is on the track to recovery
Travis. My thoughts and prayers are with you...

Ed Dati

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Thanks for all the positive vibes, everyone.

Congrats Trey, on your virility. Slipped another one past the goalie, eh?

Grant, if I were concerned about what other people think, I wouldn't be seen with you in public. Now THAT'S a comment to take offense to.

Anonymous said...

The person who made the comment about your manhood needs to move into the 21st century. They also probably think women should be kept barefoot and pregnant. As someone who knows your family well, I see a real man, a real woman, and a real kid who have a loving, happy, well-adjusted family life. I recognize that because I never had it with the "real" men I was married to. Oh, by the way, I think you are being too harsh with Grant. It would only be human to be offended by negative comments about your manhood. Besides, you should be proud to be seen with Grant. He's cute.

Sherry said...

I always knew that Donna was one tough broad to manage two boys like you and Blake. So happy to hear that she is doing well. I know you will enjoy being able to spend some valuable time with her during her recovery. Give her a squeeze from me.

Sherry (Morris) Wohlgemuth