Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Mentor, My Friend

I was a band geek. I played trombone and was pretty good at it for someone who hated to practice. Aside from my family, there was only one person whose approval or disapproval mattered to me. His name was Craig Buck, my band teacher. But he was way more than a band teacher to me. He was a real role model. He carried himself with dignity, treated students with respect, and motivated me to be all that I could be as a musician.

After high school, my interest in playing waned and after selling both of my trombones to friends, I stopped playing altogether. I tried to learn bass guitar, acoustic six-string guitar, and the trumpet, but they weren't for me. I have occasionally thought about buying a used bone and starting up again, but never managed to pull the trigger. Lately, I have been searching for a new hobby to enjoy between battles with my two year old at the dinner table. Only one idea keeps popping up. "It's time to start playing again," the voice in my head keeps saying.

Thanks to facebook, I reconnected with my old friend and bandmate Brian Montgomery. I asked whatever happened to the old trombone I sold him in high school to help pay for my Monte Carlo. He said he donated it to the HHS band years ago and expressed his apologies. I told him "No worries" and that I would figure something else out. Well, I called my friend Shelly Taylor Bode who is the current vice-president of the Band Boosters and after some sleuthing, she informed me that my old horn is actually still there at the school! I contacted the new band director and proposed a mutually beneficial arrangement. In exchange for donating one or two newer horns, I would take back my old, faithful trombone. (He is looking into the legalities and procedures and promised to get back to me soon.) It seems like fate. I think I was meant to start playing MY old trombone again. I haven't seen that horn in 20 years, and now it's tantalizingly close. I'll keep you posted as I progress in the process.

Meanwhile, back to Craig Buck. I called him today after tracking down his number with more help from Shelly. We talked for quite a while and caught up. It was so good to hear my friend's voice. I mentioned to him that the annual Studio Jazz Ensemble spagetti supper (a tradition he started before he retired) is taking place at the HHS cafeteria on Monday, April 20th. He said, "I'll see you there." I can't wait to see him again after all these years. And he wants to see everyone. So, if you are a former HHS band geek and want to visit with our old friend Mr. Buck, then plan on attending. Also, that evening will kick off the "Jason Dugger Memorial Instrument Drive." I am asking that anyone who has an old, seldom played musical instrument in their closet, to donated it to the Hannibal band program to benefit the next generation of musicians. The donations will be made in Jason's name as a tribute to his love of music and as a way for his friends to honor his memory. This drive will continue until the end of the school year. If you can participate in this event, please email me dacoynol@yahoo.com and let me know if you plan to attend the spagetti dinner to visit with Mr. Buck and/or donate a used instrument.

I look forward to seeing my mentor/friend and all of my other band family soon.

No comments: