Friday, April 01, 2011

Breaking News: Pujols Optioned to Triple-A

Memphis, TN (AP)-- St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, former league MVP and perennial All-Star, has been optioned to the club's Triple-A affiliate effective immediately, sources within the organization confirmed Friday morning. Following a protracted contract dispute, the slugger had his career worst day at the plate in Thursday's season opener, going 0 for 5 while grounding into three double-plays. Manager Tony Larussa said at his post-game news conference, "Obviously Albert isn't playing the way he is accustomed to. He knows he let the team down. He made it clear to me that his contract situation is a big distraction, so he wasn't surprised at all about being sent down to Memphis to get his act together." When asked how long Pujols' demotion might last, the skipper quipped, "As long as it takes."

Teammates of "El Hombre" were shocked when they found out the news. Lance Berkman, a former first baseman with the Houston Astros who signed with the Cardinals during the offseason to play right field expressed his disbelief. "Does that mean I'll be at first (base) now? I never thought I'd be the man to replace King Albert. I wonder if I can get a bullet-proof vest sewn into my uniform. I'm sure I'll hear some death threats tomorrow night."

Pujols declined to comment on the club's decision, but a brief statement from his agent summed up die-hard Cards fans' worst fears. "Albert's going to look really good in a Cubs uniform next year."



April Fool!

5 comments:

MLMFM said...

WOW! All I can surmise of this is that the agents are looking to get PAID! Albert has always seemed like a man of great character. Troublesome if true.

Lance "The Cripple" Jones said...

OMG, I better write down the date. April 1, 2011. Something important is supposed to happen today, like a yearly event. Dang, I wish I could remember what it is. Hmmmmm...

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

April Fool!

Unknown said...

Hey Cuz! We, (the Mariners) have this new shortstop named Brendan Ryan who apparently was playing for the Red Birds last year... What's da scoop on him?

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Ryan is an outstanding shortstop, but he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Good luck.