Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Happy Freaky New Year!

 


My singular New Year’s resolution going into 2020 was to enjoy as many live music concerts as possible. Long before I accepted a one-year contract to be the Music teacher at SoBoCo Primary School in 2019, music had been a big part of my life. When I was young, a million years ago, I played trombone and baritone horn well enough to earn college scholarship offers. After my playing days were over, I hosted a blues show on 88.1 KCOU, Mizzou’s student-run radio station. Over the years, I continued to listen to and appreciate all kinds of music, always striving to broaden my musical horizons.

 

Teaching music to young people helped me remember just how important music is to meAs 2020 approached, music was once again a huge part of my life. I directed a Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood-themed concert featuring my second graders in November. The following month I directed my kindergarteners in a delightful holiday concert and lead the whole school in a light-hearted holiday sing-a-long. I even managed to attend a few live shows here and there, including an unforgettable concert by Here Come The Mummies, a funk band that you have to see in person to truly appreciate. No matter how much music there was in my life, I couldn’t get enough of it.


In January of 2020, I started scanning the interwebs for upcoming concerts and filled my calendar with dozens of exciting prospects. I made plans to attend performances with my wife and my music-loving friends in Columbia, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins. I continued teaching my students about various genres of music ranging from classical to disco, and I introduced my first graders to the songs they would be performing for their Spring musical “How to be a Pirate”.

 

Musically speaking, 2020 was going to be the best year ever.


In February, Bethany and I went to “Cash Bash”, a musical tribute to Johnny Cash on the late musician’s birthday, at Rose Hall in Columbia. It was fantastic. Little did we know that it would be the only concert we would attend in 2020. Well, that’s not exactly true. Despite rumors of an impending shut down, “How to be a Pirate” went on as planned a few weeks later, just days before the Southern Boone school district switched to virtual instruction for the remainder of the school year. I could have never predicted that the last concert I would attend in 2020 would be one that I directed in early March.


With Covid-19 spreading unchecked as 2021 approaches, it would be foolish to plan on attending any live musical performances for the foreseeable future. Therefore, I must abandon my plan to recycle my New Year’s resolution from a year ago. Instead, my resolution for the New Year is this: In 2021, I promise to let my freak flag fly.


You may be wondering what exactly it means to let one’s freak flag fly. If the pandemic has taught me anything, it is that life is too short to waste time pretending to be anything other than my true, authentic self. I also know from experience that I am not everyone’s cup of tea. Most of the time, I am not ashamed to let my freak flag fly. But all too often, I hide who I really am for the sake of not offending other people’s sensitivities. I think a lot of us are probably guilty of that.


In 2021, I’m going take the advice Here Come The Mummies give in their song Freak Flag:


“I know you’re pretending to be shy,

but I see something naughty in your eyes.

There’s no shame in just being who you are,

On the dance floor is a perfect place to start.

It must be unfurled if you want to show the world--

Let your freak, let your freak, let your freak flag fly…”

 

For having the last name Naughton, and for having a bit of an ornery streak, it was only natural that some of my childhood friends referred to me by the nickname “Naughty”. I was a good kid, but I didn’t always walk the straight and narrow path. I didn’t get into a lot of trouble when I was young, but I did fly my freak flag high—not caring at all who approved or disapproved.


But as I grew older and more responsibleI felt forced to conform in order to fit in and not rock the boat. I started to lose my individuality, my freakiness. Although I do still fly my freak flag once in a while, most of the time I keep it neatly folded up and hidden away. But why?


The Mummies go on to say, “I see no reason why you can’t let your freak flag fly high. Run it straight up the pole, gotta show your colors before you get too old.” That’s fantastic advice coming from a group of seriously-talented funk musicians who wear mummy costumes on stage. Ill turn 50 years old in 2021, and as the ball drops in Times Square on New Year’s Eve, I plan on running my freak flag up the pole in its place.

 

Happy, Freaky New Year!

No comments: