Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Naughton’s New Four-Four-Two



After I sold my beautiful 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air nearly two years ago, in order to buy a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD equipped with a powerful Duramax diesel engine perfect for towing our family’s camping trailer, I began searching for another classic almost immediately. I am beyond thrilled to tell you that last weekend, my quest was fulfilled at long last.

had decided that my next classic would be something from the 1960s, a decade that saw tremendous innovation in terms of comfort, reliability, safety, and of course horsepower. I had a hard time choosing between buying a pony car, such as a classic Camaro or Mustang, or a muscle car like a Chevelle or GTO. I also considered full-sized classics such as Impalas or even Cadillacs. In the end, I found the perfect blend of features found in all of those examples: a 1965 Oldsmobile 442 (Four-Four-Two).


When Oldsmobile first decided to compete against the GTO from General Motors’ Pontiac division in 1964, the company came up with a performance and appearance package for their mid-sized Cutlass. That year, the digits in the moniker 442 stood for 4-speed manual transmission, 4-barrel carburetor, and dual (2) exhaust pipes. The 330 cubic inch V8 motor was rated at a healthy 310 horsepower and 355 lb-ft of torque. The next year, however, Oldsmobile declared all-out war against their in-house rivals at Pontiac.


In 1965, the first 4 in the name 442 no longer stood for 4-speed manual, although it remained as an available option. Instead, the first number 4 denoted a brand new 400 cubic inch big-block motorThis new engine created 345 horsepower and an astonishing 440 lb-ft of torque. (For comparison, the now legendary GTO offered a 389 cubic inch V8 rated at 335 horsepower and a torque rating of 431 lb-ft that year.) The 442 also featured heavy duty shocks and springs and front and rear stabilizer bars which made it one of the most powerful and best handling cars of its era. The 1965 Oldsmobile 442 was the first real muscle car.


As the muscle car wars raged during the second half of the decade, Pontiac’s GTO, Chevy’s Chevelle, and entries from Buick, Dodge, Plymouth, and Ford competed against the 442 for the title of King of the Muscle Cars. Today, many classic car enthusiasts revere the GTO as such, but 442 owners know better.


My 442 is an incredible example of a “survivor” car. With the exception of the radiator, water pump, fuel pump, wheels, and tires, my 55-year-old 442 is in unrestored, original condition.After over half a century, the car still has its original engine, automatic transmission, interior, and paint. It runs and drives amazingly well, although the original four-barrel carb could use some tweaking.

 

It’s also a fairly rare car. In 1965, only 2,500 442 Sport Coupes were made with a two-speed Jetaway automatic transmission. Even fewer were equipped with power steering, power brakes, bucket seats, center console, and factory air conditioning—all of which are still intact and functioning in my car.


Because most gearheads hold the GTO in higher regard, I was able to buy my 442 for a fraction of the price its Pontiac cousin would command in similar condition. It seems that my patience over these many months has finally paid off, and I have been rewarded with a fantastic piece of automotive history. As I assured the car’s elderly seller, (who had just purchased his dream car, a fully-restored 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner), this particular 442 will continue to be loved and cared for by someone who appreciates it as much as he did. I could sense that he was genuinely relieved to know that his baby was going to a good home.


As a Winter project, the 442 will need some love. The headliner is torn and discolored. The paint is in need of a great deal of elbow grease to get it to shine again. (I don’t want to repaint it because a car is only original once, and I like the patina look anyway.) I would like to upgrade the braking system, sacrificing some originality for safety. And the namesake carburetor and exhaust both need attention. 


Of course, I intend to support the local economy by sending some business to my friends Allen and Matt, two talented mechanics who will be thrilled to work on a true time capsule.


If you see me and the 442 cruising through town sometime, give me a wave or a honk. I’ll be sure to honk back, because in addition to most of the lights, gauges, and wipers, the original horn also still works. (Although you may not be able to hear it after Matt works his magic on that dual exhaust.) 

 

No comments: