Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Being Thankful for What I Have

After spending entirely too much time over the last few weeks searching online for a new toy to park in my garage, I had an epiphany: I already have everything I could ever want in life. However, there is one thing that I need. I need to remember to be thankful for what I have.

Sure, a 50th anniversary edition 2003 Chevy Corvette would be a great addition to our family’s current fleet of five vehicles, but I already have a two-seater hot rod, a 1971 Chevy pickup with a hopped-up 327 cubic inch V-8 transplanted from a 1969 Chevy Impala. Do I NEED a two-seat Corvette with a fuel-injected 350 cubic inch V-8, too? Of course not. But do I WANT one? Of course I do. Sort of.


While the members of my household exchanged their Christmas wish lists with one another, I thought about what I already have.


already have an amazing wife, three great kids, and an awesome bonus-kid who happens to be the mother of my beautiful grandbaby.


I have a dad, two brothers, and a sister who still claim me as an immediate family member despite my decades of making poor decisions and a public spectacle of myself.


I have a mother-in-law who loves me as if I were her own son, three sisters-in-law, two brothers-in-law, and a brother-in-common-law who all seem to enjoy my company.


I have cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and various other relatives who act happy to see me and hear from me.


And I have more friends than a moody, bipolar, recovering alcoholic could ever hope for.


also have a house with room for seven humans, two dogs, two cats, and a half-dozen aquarium fish. My family.


In that house I have a closet full of clothes, a room full of musical instruments, and two refrigerators full of food. 


And I have two garages and a driveway full of cars and trucks. Why would I need, want, or deserve a Corvette?


think the better question is: What do you give a man who already has everything? It’s a question that has been posed by advertisers and marketing people for as long as I can remember. Perhaps the best answer would be: Give him a sense of appreciation for what he has, but if he already has that, give him a Corvette.


This Thanksgiving, remember to count your blessings. Write them down. Take stock of what you have and then take a moment to appreciate those blessings. Be thankful for what you have. 


If you are fortunate like I am and you have everything you could ever want or need, then you may want to consider sharing the wealth before buying a sports car. My wife and I give time and money to a few worthy causes. We support the Salvation Army, the United Way, the Food Bank, the Red Cross, and we “adopt” a family at Christmas. We also feed, clothe, contribute to college funds, and provide transportation for our three children. (Does that count as charity? Asking for a friend.)


I do know how lucky I am, and I am thankful for all that I have. No, I don’t need or deserve or desperately want a Corvette, but my family is pretty insistent that I give them some ideas for my holiday wish list, and if a Corvette showed up in my garage on Christmas morning, then you can bet that I would very thankful indeed.


Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: