Monday, October 09, 2006

The Chicago Experience: Part 1

Bethany, Alex, and I drove to Chi-town this weekend to attend the Backer's Pet Expo along with my store's owners and about 10,000 other people involved in the pet business. The convention hosted 1500 exhibiting vendors and their products. In the two full days we explored the trade show, we still did not manage to see everything. It was amazing- and exhausting. Did you know that there are at least one hundred different manufacturers of clothing for dogs? Did you realize that some bakeries make dog treats in the shape of dog feces? Its true. We even saw a real, live pink poodle. They had everything. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for letting us go, Teresa and Ian!

After the second day concluded we travelled north to my old college roommate's home in the 'burbs. Our navigation skills were challenged by no less than 6 roads along our route all named Rand Road. It made what should have been a 40 minute trip last almost two hours. I thought I saw the north pole at one point. I know I saw a sleigh and some reindeer. When we finally arrived at Mark and Kelly's house I asked our gracious hosts why they felt the need to live in Canada. They said they live in the suburbs of Chicago. They claimed to be Bears fans but I believe Green Bay and Minnesota were closer. But we had a great visit and I had a lot of fun catching up with my friend and laughing about the college days. (Mark if you are reading this: Do NOT post comments on this blog about our time together as roommates. I may still want to have a career in politics someday!) We said our goodbyes and found our way home (with no further incidents) by two in the morning. Thanks for the hospitality, Kirchwehms!

We would have liked to have gotten a little more rest, though. We would need it the next day when we ventured into the Windy City. But that is another story for another time. All I can say now is that the subway, the Projects, and Da Bears were involved. Oh, and a lot of dead people and animals. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mrn & I missed seeing your clan while in Columbia this past weekend, but we are glad you had a good time. You and Alex need to pick up your present from Mom's... and then post a pic on the blog using said present, k?

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

We got the gift and have already put it to good use. Thank you both. We will post pictures of the great paper airplane races soon.