Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

This year for Mother's Day I wanted to give my mom something really special. As you know, my mom is battling stage four lung cancer. She first heard the diagnosis on August 1, 2007. By the time her cancer was discovered, it had already spread to her brain. Since that time, she has undergone whole brain radiation, stereotactic radio surgery (direct radiation to the two tumors in her brain), months of chemotherapy, and brain surgery. Throughout these difficult months, Mom has done an incredible job of maintaining a positive attitude. Whenever I have felt sorry for myself, I quickly snap out of it when I recall how she has not allowed herself to have any pity-parties. How has Mom been able to remain so strong throughout this saga? Because she's a mom.

Moms work harder than most any man. Most moms put in an 8 hour day at work then come home and cook dinner, do laundry, clean house, and put the kids to bed. My mom was no exception. Mom worked harder than most women, too. Not one for being the June Cleaver type, Mom enlisted in the Marines. She rose to the rank of corporal before meeting my jarhead dad and getting married. She agreed to turn her back on her beloved California in order to raise a family in Missouri where Dad was from. Not satisfied with being a bank teller or doing other traditional women's jobs, Mom started working in the car business. Although most of her misogynist employers and co-workers tried to keep her in the business office, Mom insisted on trying her hand at selling cars. Eventually, she became the general sales manager at a Chevy dealership (an unheard of position for a woman to hold in one of the most sexist industries around.)

Mom isn't all work and no play though. I fondly recall listening to "The Eagles" and many other bands on our buffet sized home stereo with Mom. On Sundays, we'd snuggle together in her recliner and watch westerns all day. Mom helped coach my little league teams. She took me and Blake for a white-knuckle ride in her two-seater Datsun 280-Z once that topped 130 mph. (Did I mention two-seater?) Mom also loves to volunteer. She gives blood regularly, donates her time to the "Show-Me State Games," and trained to become a volunteer with the Columbia Police Department.

"Your mama wears combat boots and drives a tank to church." This is a classic insult that you've probably heard before. In my family, it was considered a compliment. I usually responded, "My mom can beat up your mom." Anybody who knows her will agree that she is the "toughest broad" they've ever met. She uses that term to describe herself, so I can use it without getting in trouble. (Just weeks after having brain surgery, Mom was outside trying to start her lawnmower. Oh yeah, she's a little stubborn, too.) Her strength has been tested throughout her battle with cancer and last week, it was tested again. The primary tumor (the one in her lung) is growing again. It is too large to remove, so she will undergo another round of chemo beginning next Thursday. While this is not good news, Mom has remained her usual positive self. She is a fighter. Fighters don't feel sorry for themselves. They fight.

So, on this Mother's Day, my gift to my mom is to tell her and all the world how much I love her. I want her to know that I am the man I am today because of her. I want her to know that she inspires me. I want her to know that her whole family loves her. I want her to know that I am proud of her. Mom, I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have never been so honored by what dsomeone has said about me. I cou;dn't posssibly .love my "boys" more than I do. Cancer be damned, I am the luckiest woman on earth.