Friday, May 30, 2008

Vacation Over, Retirement Begins


We just got back from D.C./Baltimore last night. It was a great vacation. We saw all the sights of Washington and have the pictures to prove it. It was Memorial Day Weekend while we were there, so thousands of Veterans convened on the city to honor their fallen brethren. We went to all the war memorials, presidential memorials, the National Archives (to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution), the Smithsonian, the Library of Congress (where Blake works), the Capitol, the White House, Ft. McHenry (where Francis Scott Key was inspired to write "the Star Spangled Banner"), the Marine Barracks (where the famous Silent Drill Platoon and President's Own Band performed), and more. We also took in an Orioles-Yankees game at Camden Yards (nine home runs were hit in the game!) It was a great trip.

But now vacation is over. It's time to get down to business. It is time to begin focusing on my retirement. I began this new stage in my life by sleeping in till 10:00 this morning. As of this moment I have been playing on the computer for two hours. I may take a nap this afternoon and then go fishing this evening. It's a rough life. But by golly, this is the life Thomas Jefferson envisioned for me. Afterall, I am excercising my right to "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." What can be more American than that?

No comments: