Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Retirement 2.0

Thursday is my last day of employment at Treats Unleashed. As you will recall, I announced my plan to retire a few months ago. How quickly time has flown by. My wife, son, mother, and I are all setting out on an epic road trip to Maryland to visit Brother Blake and his wife Meredith as soon as my final day of work ends. Since I will be on the road tomorrow after my last shift, I thought I'd say a few words about my time in the dog business now.

I began this odyssey in January of 2003. I was just looking for a low-stress, part-time job that would allow the ulcer I developed while working at a struggling car auction the previous two years to heal. Little did I know that it would be five and a half years before I eventually left. I've made a lot of friends along the way. Customers, their dogs, co-workers, and my employers have all become part of my extended family. I hope that they know how much they all mean to me. Annie, Jessica, Niki, and Kim are the present and future of Treats Unleashed. And they are all really special people. It has been my pleasure getting to know them. Kim is taking over as manager. She probably knows more about the business than I do, and she'll do a great job. On a personal note, Bethany and I both refer to Kim as my "work wife." I have a "home wife" and a "work wife" who both do an amazing job of putting up with my nonsense and keeping me on the right path. Kimberly Ann, I am gonna miss you. A lot.

I wish Teresa and Ian Miller (the owners) continued success. Thank you both for everything. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity you gave me two years ago when you made me the manager. I am grateful for you allowing me to work a 34 hour week so I could pick Alex up at school three days a week. I am grateful for your understanding when I needed time off for taking Mom to doctor appoinments. I am grateful for your friendship. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thanks and best wishes to all my friends with whom I worked at Treats Unleashed/Doggie Empawrium over the past five years: Robin (R.I.P.), Julie, Gail, Huong, Emily, Linzi, Alexis, Meredith, Whitney, Laura, Lindsey, Kate, Kim, Lisa, Jill, Michelle, Celeste, Kristina, Jamie, Kim 2, Jaime, Annie, Jessica, Niki, Teresa, and Ian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This place just isn't going to be the same without you. No one else will put up with me being freakin' amazing like you do, and no one else will say sea ponies or sprinkles quite the same. :) I really did enjoy the time that we got to work together and being your "work wife". I wish you the best in your retirement, but you have to promise not to forget about your TU family in the mean time! I'll miss you soooooo much!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh T-Rav...how I will miss thee. Kim just won't appreciate my random bits of Irish History like you have! And who am I going to dazzle next semester when I take all my adoption courses? (Don't forget you'll see my name in shiny letters when I re-do the international adoption system in 10 years!) Who's going to bring phrases like "Bomb diggity" and "What's happening girl friend" back into fashion like you have?! Who's going to tell me crazy high school stories that reasure me I'm some what normal?! Who's going to stay on my case when I go three weeks of eating Ramen and Easy Mac?!!? Who will know what I'm talking about when I'm raving about the latest Disney movies and Pokemon battles?! (Ok, so that's Alex...) BUT WHAT WILL BECOME OF ANNIE AS EVERYONE HAS KNOWN HER! ME ME ME!!!

In short...you've played a role in my life, and I am better for having known you. You will be missed, and a part of our lives have been changed for good. THanks T-rav. All my love, all the best.
Annie

Ps. "On the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction" -An Irish blessing