Monday, June 02, 2008

Retirement, Day One

Since we were gone on vacation last week, today marked the unofficial start of my summer of leisure. I am not going to be sitting on the sofa eating bon-bons and watching my stories every day. Far from it. Today I did the dishes and the laundry. I vacuumed, made beds, cleaned the kitchen and the rat's cage (the two are NOT located in the same room), and more. Alex cleaned his room, too. Then we went to town to go to the swimming pool but it was closed. It had just started to rain, so I guess they close when rain is in the forecast. We decided that since we were planning to get wet anyway we would play a round of disc golf in the rain. After 18 holes, we looked like we had gone swimming. It was a lot of fun and Alex really took to the game. That's good because each Monday this summer we are scheduled for a trip to Albert-Oakland Park in Columbia for a round of disc golf and an afternoon in the pool. And this evenening, Bethany and I played in our co-ed softball league. We won 25 to 8 after only three innings, but it wasn't even that close. Also, I broke the opposing pitcher's pinkie finger with a savagely smashed grounder. I felt a little bad about that. I did. Of course as crooked as his finger was, everyone felt a little sick after seeing it. Our record is now 5-2, with one of our losses coming in the form of a forfeit because we didn't have enough players. In two seasons, we have only been beaten one time. Not bad for a team named "The Gimps" due to the inordinate amount of people playing injured most weeks. All in all, today was a very good day.

Bethany is happy because she got her "housewife" back and we boys are happy because as long as we get our chores done, we get to go play the rest of the day. You know, some people figure out what they want to do with their lives while in college and they go on to have a successful career and find happiness. Good for them. I remember now what my calling is. I was meant to be a husband and a dad. That's what I realized when I stayed home with Alex before he started kindergarten. I just now remembered how much I love it. You know what? I'm not too bad at it either. Here's the lesson: Marry well, live within your means, get out of debt and then you can do anything you want. Why not do something you love? Why not retire at age 36 and have the time of your life? Life's too short to waste time wishing you were doing something else.

Stay tuned. Tomorrow is the first of our weekly Tuesday trips to the library and a Columbia city park. We're going to take Nonna to her appointment with her new cancer doctor, too. Then if we have time, we may squeeze in a few video games before Mommy gets home from work. I'll keep blogging- you keep reading. Have a great Tuesday everyone.

No comments: