Friday, June 06, 2008

Summer of Sport

Let's get physical. On Thursday, Alex and I hit the driving range. Smacking a bucket of golf balls is a great way to spend an afternoon. Alex has a custom made five iron that his Uncle Doug gave him that he did really well with. He used my five wood, too, with mixed results. I worked on staying down on the ball and hit some decent shots. Our summer schedule includes weekly trips to the driving range and a monthly trip for an actual round of golf. I think Alex enjoyed it. He said, "Next time let's get the biggest bucket they have!" The biggest bucket has 300 balls in it, so it might end up feeling a little like work and we all know that's something I'm really trying to avoid at this stage of my life.

We also went to the Ashland City Park where Alex practiced riding his skateboard. Some bigger kids were there being obnoxious and trying new tricks on their boards. Alex was the only one wearing a helmet and it didn't bother him a bit. In fact, he said he would wear elbow and knee pads, too. Oh yeah, and a cup. And shin guards. You gotta love him.

When we got home we played some Tiger Woods golf on the Playstation. I hope the little Tiger likes the game. It could pay his tuition for college or fund my retirement when he makes it on the Tour. But I won't push. I'm sure he'll find something he loves that will also provide his old man with a life of leisure. He starts little league next week...

No comments: