Thursday, June 05, 2008

Retirement, Day Three

Wednesday was a stay-at-home day. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, we'll need to stay close to home more than my original retirement plans called for. But we made the most of it. Alex read library books while I watched TV and catnapped. In the afternoon I mowed and ran the weed-eater till I got blisters. Then in the evening, my mom came out to the house and we watched Tony Stewart's charity car race on pay-per-view. Red-necked? A little. But it was cool. 25 big-name Nascar drivers racing in the dirt like they did before they made it to the big time. The best part was that over one million dollars of the proceeds went to The Victory Junction Gang Camp. This camp was founded by Nascar driver Kyle Petty and his wife Patti in memory of their son Adam, who was killed in an on track crash several years ago. It was originally Adam's idea to build a camp for seriously ill children with full medical facilities and doctors and nurses on site. It has a Nascar theme of course and serves kids in the Carolinas. They have had so much demand that the Pettys are building a new camp in Kansas City that will have a multi-sport theme to include Nascar, the Chiefs, and the Royals.

Today, Alex and I will enjoy our first day at home in the air-conditioning. My frugal wife (and sole bread-winner of the family) finally relented and is allowing us to use the AC. The overnight temperature in our house failed to fall below 80 degrees last night, so she gave in. Of course when I woke up a short while ago, it still seemed warm to me so I checked the thermostat. Sure enough, she had turned on the air. However, she inexplicably had the temperature set to 85 degrees. Accident? Oversight? Subliminal message?

No comments: