Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kiss My Bass


While Bethany went for a ride on her new bike this evening, Alex and I went fishing. I caught three decent bass and had a couple more that got away. For this photo, Alex only pretended to kiss the fish, but he actually planted a wet one on the next fish I caught. He proudly exclaimed, "First kissed fish of the year!" and then started spitting and saying, "Oh, gross!"



Earlier today we visited the girls at Treats Unleashed and then went over to my mom's house. Later we went to the big park in Columbia where Alex tried his skills at the local skatepark. He rode his scooter and his board a little bit, but was ultimately too intimidated by the bigger kids to continue. One of the junior high age boys said, "Outta my way, cow-sucker" to him. I told him that just means that he's young and still drinks milk. (I hope that's all it means.) I also suggested that he practice a lot and come back one day to show off his skills, but he was too discouraged to think about returning. Frankly, I won't mind if he never gets on a board again. With a few exceptions, most of the skaters I have known had a tendency to gravitate toward anti-social behaviors. (All the guys from the show "Jackass" are skaters. They are not exactly what I hope my son will grow up to be.) Anyway, after we left the skatepark we played on the playground. We played "pirates" and "tag" and had a great time. I was happy that Alex is still young enough to prefer the swingset to the trappings of the skater-set.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless Bruiser plans to grow up to be an Extreme gamer, make abazillion bucks and be barely able to converse in the English language while breking every bone in his body at least once, I'd steer clear of skate parks full of wise ass punks who are rude, crude and socially unacceptable. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a possible construction project for you and Alex - his own backyard skate park! You two creative gents could handle that, and Travis, I just know your itchin' to build someting new after the successfull party porch build.