Saturday, June 07, 2008

From the Couch to the Track

Friday was a study in opposites. Alex and I sat on our butts all day watching cartoons and playing video games. But we knew what the evening had in store for us. Bethany signed up to participate in the "Relay for Life" to raise cancer awareness and seek a cure. Her hospital always fields a team of walkers for the event and we have attended for the past three years. We also invited my mama to attend. Bethany was scheduled to walk from 8-9pm. Mom was able to walk for a solid half-hour before her back started giving out. Alex kept her company while Bethany and I completed the hour's walk. As we walked I thought of Bethany's grandmother, Viola Rathsam (or Grandma Ola as she came to be known). We lost her to cancer a couple years ago, yet her spirit lives on through those of us her were loved by her. I decided to dedicate that hour of walking to her. That meant that I needed to walk another hour in honor of my mom. So that's what I did. I lost track of how many circuits I completed in those two hours, but I'm sure it was in the neighborhood of 25 or 30. If four laps equal a mile, then I walked at least six miles. I'm a little sore today, but my pain is nothing compared to what my mom or Grandma Ola have had to endure.

So, I shall return to the couch and let my weary muscles rest. There's more action taking place on the track today (horse racing and NASCAR) that I need to "participate" in. Have a good weekend.

Best t-shirts spotted at the Relay for Life:
3. "Cancer Sucks"
2. "Got Boobs? Get 'em checked"
1. "Saving Second Base- Raising Breast Cancer Awareness"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you and the family participated in Relay For Life. Did your Mom walk in the opening lap as a cancer survivor? I staff 6 Relay For Life events, so if you ever feel like walking there are many in NE Missouri to choose from.
Thanks for your support.
Brenda Carlin
Hannibal