Friday, September 12, 2008

Travis's Book Club

This week I checked out two books: "When You Are Engulfed In Flames" by David Sedaris and "From Baghdad to America" by Jay Kopelman. Both are biographical/anecdotal in nature, certainly not novels. Neither are for the faint of heart. Both will make you throw up in your mouth a little bit, but for completely different reasons. Both will make you laugh out loud at times. Both are raw. Both are honest. And when combined, they felt like they almost completely reflected who I am as a human being.

Sedaris is not normal. He writes his essays in a fashion similar to the way I blog. He puts his life out there for all to see. He's neurotic, a little creepy at times, and hilarious. He's done things...things most people would never admit to doing much less write about. He is the "gay" me. Kopelman previously wrote "From Baghdad with Love" telling about his life as a Marine who broke all the rules by falling in love with a puppy in Iraq. (Against all odds, he was able to smuggle the dog stateside.) The new book takes up where he left off in the first, when he returned home. Kopelston bares his soul regarding life after the horrors of war and how Lava, his dog, helped him feel human again.

Both books are written in a style similar to mine. Neither are politically correct. Both aim to expose the reader to the inner workings of a slightly deranged mind. Both authors share experiences that at times remind me of situations or emotions I have experienced. Both are poignant, funny, and disturbing. So am I. If you like reading my blog, then I highly recommend that you check these books out. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of books, how is your book coming. Is it ready for publication yet. I assume that being re-retired has given you time to finish it. I can't wait for someone else to read it and tell me how it was. While I am at it I just read back through your blog and didn't you say you would be funny. Do you have a time frame on when that might start.
Grant