Monday, September 01, 2008

We Are Family



I had one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences yesterday. When most people attend a family reunion, they get to see some relatives that they may not have seen in a few months or even years. Occasionally they meet someone new, but only rarely. I, on the other hand, got to meet half of my family tree for the very first time. I am having a hard time describing how that feels.

I have been vaguely aware that all of these relatives existed somewhere, but for reasons unknown and unimportant, fate waited until now to bring us together. And I'm not talking about distant relatives, either. I got to meet my mom's brother and sister, four of my five first cousins on the Keller side, their spouses, and their children. And what a group they were!

I am happy to say that my anxiety leading up to the reunion was unfounded. Everyone was very down to earth, genuinely interested in learning about each other, and a lot of fun. We quickly realized that although we were strangers for the years prior to our meeting, by the end of the day a solid and loving bond was formed. I could not have been more pleased with the way everything went.

Aunt Linda and her cousin Roz put together an incredible genealogy dating back to the 1700's and published a very well done report for all of us to take home. (I am the ninth generation in the Laws/Reagan lineage to live in this country and the seventh generation in the Keller line.) Linda also made t-shirts and kept the lines of communication going leading up to the reunion. Uncle TK (Tom Keller) helped plan everything and his daughter Tricia, who lives in Omaha, made the arrangements for our catered picnic lunch at the state park there. After we ate, we posed for some family pictures and turned the kids loose at the water park. Then we ate dinner at the lodge and ended the day at the putt-putt golf course where everyone consipired to convince me that I had been beaten by Meredith thanks to her miraculous hole-in-one on the 18th hole. (Bethany revealed today that I had in fact won by a stroke.) I can't believe I was denied my moment of glory!
On behalf of Bethany, Alex, Blake, Meredith, and Mom, I want to say thank you to all of the Kellers, Barrs, Arants, Ullrichs, (and Naughtons) who made this weekend one of the most special of my life. It was especially rewarding to see Mom having so much fun visiting with everyone. She has taught us all that life is too short and family is too precious to not have these types of get togethers from time to time. I hope to stay in close contact with my bigger and better family in the future. In the photo are the first cousins: Tina, Gregg, Larry, Me, Tricia, and some dork named Blake.
PS: A special shout-out to the Arant girls. You all rock! - "Fred"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a good time,

Is that Blake on the far right???
Is he allowed to be taller and better looking than you? haha

~Martin

Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome! Thanks for coming to meet all of us...I had such a great time! I love having a bigger family!
...cuzin' Ti.-

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

That is Blake, Marty. He may be taller, but I'm obviously much better looking.

Tina, you are right- we are awesome. But I am more awesome than Blake, right? Seriously, it was great to see you. And Lauren is just adorable! Stay in touch.