Thursday, August 28, 2008

"All My Ex-es Live On Facebook"

The Internet is a funny thing. Where else can a guy "reunite" with four women with whom he previously had relationships without it turning into a lynching? Unless these women are swapping "Travis is such a loser" stories behind my back (which they would never do), this "Ex-girlfriends' Club" seems to be a good thing. I have had the chance to say some things to the ladies that in my previous life of immaturity I never could say. They have reminded me of an age of innocence which I can now look back upon fondly. We have all moved on with our lives and all seem to be happy and doing well. The Internet as therapy- who would have thunk it?

I find myself thinking about those days gone by quite a bit lately. I think everyone needs to take stock once in a while and remember what got them to where they are today. The four women I referred to included two pairs of best friends. (No, that didn't complicate things!) They accounted for three-fourths of the French Horn section of the Hannibal High School band. (Now you know my favorite instrument.) But most importantly, they are all great people who I am lucky to call my friends. Without the experiences we shared, I would have not been ready when "The One" came along. In fact, Bethany actually came along a little too early. It wasn't until a few years after we first met that I was mature enough to handle a committed relationship. Timing is everything.

So, "to all the girls I've loved before", I say thank you for sharing a part of your lives with me. I am the man I am today, in part, because of you. You'll always have a place in my heart.

No comments: