Monday, August 18, 2008

Mondays...

At 8:00 this morning, a representative from CenturyTel called to inform me that we cannot get DSL Internet at our home afterall. I reminded this person that it was CenturyTel who sent us a solicitation in the mail that claimed we were now eligible for high-speed internet. Bethany even submitted our zip code on their website to confirm our eligibility. Then she called and waited on hold for almost an hour to talk to a representative who once again confirmed our eligibility. They agreed to the terms and set up installation for this morning. The woman who called to tell me that we can't have the service said that their transmitters can only send the signal 21,000 feet down the line and that our house was 300 feet too far. "I'm sorry, sir" was her reply when I bluntly expressed by discontent. Needless to say, after hanging up I was not a happy camper.

At 8:20 am, Bethany's sister Kelly called for help because the car I just sold her yesterday died on the side of the road. I drove to town to try to get it started and soon realized the effort was futile. We called a tow truck and had it brought to the Ford dealer. Turns out that a fuel relay switch failed. I felt terrible that the car broke down less than a day after I sold it to her for my niece Jessie to use as her first car, so I offered to help pay for the repairs. (She refused, but I insisted.) What else could go wrong today?

At 9:30 I dropped by my mom's house to check on her. She was having some residual pains from her surgical procedure last week, so I drove her to the pharmacy to pick up some pain medicine. She is really struggling lately. We have three doctor appointments tomorrow to try to figure out where we go from here. Cancer is a nasty, nasty disease. If you smoke, quit. If you haven't smoked, don't start. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but I've never smoked a single cigarette. And I never will.

Anyway, this has been one shitty Monday. And it's only noon. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: