Saturday, August 23, 2008

No Deal!

I told you I was buying a new Bluesmobile, right? I called the guy on Tuesday and arranged for their shop to install four new tires, window tinting, and a 30-day temp tag. I had a cashier's check for everything drawn up at my bank. I was really excited about getting a new car. It's been five years! I arrived yesterday (Friday) at 5:00 pm in Kansas City to pay for and take home the car. To my bitter disappointment, I discovered the car still had four bald tires and no window tinting. I asked the salesman if he remembered our conversation and he sheepishly admitted that he did. Then he went on to say, "I'm not making excuses, but we've been really busy all week." (Sounded like an excuse to me.) Then he told me to drive the car across town to the tire shop myself. He said, "Good news, if you take it over there yourself, then you won't have to pay our mark-up." I told him I didn't want to drive it myself because he should have done it. He said that's fine but it would take his guy awhile to get it over there and that I would still have to pay full price. (No offer of a discount after failing to have the car ready!?) I said I needed to think about it while Bethany, Alex, and I test drove the car. It ran fine, but I soon noticed it had no rear view mirror. (Cars have to have one to pass inspection in Missouri, not to mention tires that aren't bald. You would think that since a KC cop owns the dealership they would know that.) It also lacked a spare tire (which was listed as included on the web listing.) Seething mad, I turned the car around and headed back to the lot to tell the guy "No deal."

When I got back to the dealership, our salesman was helping two other employees put a spotlight on another car. I stood there waiting to talk to him for over five minutes. He never even acknowledged my presence. Finally, I interrupted. "Excuse me, John." He turned to look at me. "It's obvious to me that that spotlight is more important to you than my business. You had three full days to put tires on my car and tint the windows. Then I noticed there's no rear-view mirror, so I don't know how you got it to pass inspection. There isn't even a spare in the trunk. I drove two and a half hours to pick up this car and it wasn't ready. I am extremely disappointed. Now, you can't even tear yourself away from that spotlight to talk to me. So, nothing personal, but we can't do business."

John replied, "So is there any other car here you'd be interested in?"

"No."

"Out of a hundred cars here, you don't want any of them?"

"Not a chance. Have a nice day." And I got back in my mom's car and we drove away. Here's a tip for everyone: whether you are in the car business or are offering high-speed internet, or whatever, just follow-through on what you've promised. If you say that you are going to do something for someone, then do it. Don't make excuses. Just get it done. That seems simple enough, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, the search for the new Bluesmobile continues...

No comments: