Saturday, February 28, 2009

One Month

Have you ever seen the show "30 Days"? Film director Morgan Spurlock (of "Supersize Me" fame) had a show on FX where he assumed a new identity for 30 days in order to see what it was like to walk in someone elses's shoes. I thought this was a grand idea and tonight I was inspired to take on my first role. After watching "Rocky" earlier this evening, I was inspired to train for a fight with Apollo Creed in 30 days. In my mind, the fight takes place on April 1st, April Fool's Day. I will run, jump rope, and train as if I were scheduled to fight for the heavyweight title one month from now. I just wish I had a side of beef to pummel. I think "April Fool" is pretty appropriate.

My reasons for doing this are not just because I am insane. No, I have been trying to motivate myself to get into shape for quite a while now. The other day, I showed Alex how to jump rope and after only four or five repetitions I nearly died. I want to replace my twelve pack abs with six pack abs. I want to be so sexy that my wife won't need to be coerced into having relations with me. She is a triathlete, and I know that she would find me more appealing if I fine-tuned my form a little. Plus, I'm fairly certain she loves me and wants me to be healthy enough to live for a few more years. So I figure getting into shape is not a bad idea. However, I have never been able to exercise just for the fun of it, so I need to make it interesting. So, Sylvester Stallone came around this evening and said, "You are going to fight Apollo Creed on April 1st. You have one month to train your butt off. Burgess Meredith is standing in your corner, ready to cut you at any time. Let's get started." How could I argue with Rocky Balboa?

Tonight, I weighed in at 154 pounds. That is officially the most I have ever weighed in my life. I realize that adding muscle will not help me shed pounds, so I will not fret too much about my weight. Instead, I will grade myself on how much better I look and feel. If my spouse finds that she can't keep her hands off of me, then I will know that I could have gone the distance with Apollo. That will be good enough fo me.

Stay tuned as I chart my progress every day for the next month. Maybe you will be inspired too. I won't fight you though. This face is just way too pretty.

No comments: