Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Get Busy Living

 For the last two years social distancing measures, quarantines, and stay-at-home orders have helped prevent emergency rooms and hospital wards from becoming overrun with Covid-positive patients, saving countless lives. Yet in that time, one million Americans have died from coronavirus-related illnesses. As hard as it is to imagine, the death toll would have been much, much higher had we not taken the steps we did.

I have supported mask mandates, vaccination requirements, and social distancing efforts throughout the pandemic, but now that most Americans have either been vaccinated or infected with the coronavirus, the likelihood of a surge in new infections that will strain the medical system has become drastically lower. Therefore, I believe it is time to think about how we will proceed from here.


With the threat to our physical health greatly diminished, we need to address the damage the virus has caused to our emotional wellbeing. America is currently battling an unprecedented mental health crisis as a result of the prolonged isolation from loved-ones, the cancelation of gatherings and celebrations, and the constant fear of death. Though the mitigation measures were necessary and the right thing to do, they were never intended to be permanent. Merely avoiding death is not the same as living life.

 

As Stephen King wrote in The Shawshank Redemption, “I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.” 


I believe that now is the time to get busy living. 


Last Saturday, my wife and I hosted our largest family gathering in over two years. Cousins and siblings, aunts and uncles, in-laws and perhaps a few outlaws from the Naughton, Hecker, Lemon, Rathsam, Bruce, and Davenport families converged at our little house in the woods for a good old-fashioned family Easter celebration. It was a sunny and joyous day, and it was just what the doctor ordered.


In all, over 30 members of our extended family came together to eat ham, turkey, and an assortment of casseroles and desserts that left our bellies feeling as full as our hearts. The kids participated in an Easter egg hunt outside, the first for 19-month-old Freya who exhibited a preternatural talent for finding the candy and toy-filled plastic eggs. And people spent a fair amount of time in my multi-purpose shop admiring my newly acquired Corvette and playing musical instruments.


A good time was had by all. A long-overdue good time. Perhaps the delayed gratification helped make it even more special. All I know is that seeing my granddaughter carrying her “Baby Yoda” Easter basket around while her smiling parents followed along behind her was one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen in my life. It was medicine for my soul.


I’m looking forward to more soul medicine and enjoying more long-overdue good times in the future. Two of my favorite things in the world are the mountains of Colorado and live music. This weekend, an old friend and I will be enjoying both of those as I head west to Fort Collins, Colorado, to take in the FoCoMX music festival where 300 musical acts from all genres will perform at 30 downtown venues. Rest assured that not only will I be busy living, I will also be busy getting down and getting funky, too.


I’ll make another trip to the mountains this summer where our family will explore the Breckenridge area and visit my brother and his family. We also have vacations planned for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, and Northern Michigan. Of course, I’ll make time to take the Corvette on a few road trips as well. I wouldn’t want the newest member of the family to feel left out.


As we take a moment this week to reflect upon the fact that one million American lives have been lost to Covid, it is important to also remember that it is our duty as survivors to carry on and live our best lives—while always being willing to make difficult choices and sacrifices should the need arise again in the future.

No comments: