Thursday, July 28, 2005

Serenity Now!


Maybe I should study Zen or Yoga or just take longer naps. I don't know. I do know that I am wound way too tight lately for an unemployed man whose wife works two jobs while he stays home with the kid and does the housework. Oh, and did I mention she told me that I can stop shaving? In fact, she insisted. She actually likes my whiskers. How can I possibly be stressed? I'm living the dream, right? Maybe I stay at home too much. I do a lot of chores. I spend a lot of time vacuuming dog hair from every surface in the house. I spend a lot more time yelling at Alex to quit doing whatever the heck he's doing at the time that could get him hurt, killed or arrested. Socrates said that everything should be done in moderation. Every excess becomes a vice. Is it possible that I spend too much time at home with my four year old? Am I the opposite of a dead-beat dad? Can spending too much time with your kid be as bad as not spending enough time with him? All I know is that he and I seem to argue more often than we agree and that I get a little worked up by the end of the day. I think that I may even be a little hard for Bethany to come home to after a long hard day working at one of her six or seven jobs. So from now on I will endeavor to become more patient, more understanding, and less cranky than I have been lately. I will be a kinder, gentler Travis. I will think before I react. I will control my temper. I will appreciate how lucky I am. I will be happier. I will have "Serenity Now!" (Or insanity later.) Thank you Frank Costanza, Lloyd Braun, and Cosmo Kramer for inspiring me to make myself a better man.

2 comments:

Violent Farmer said...

Have you seen the Milwaukee's Best commercials where there are these guys standing around a grill talking sports and various other man things and then one of thier buddies walkes up with his wife and him and his wife have on matching checkered shirts, then the guys at the grill give checkered shirt guy the look and then the checkered shirt guy goes "What?" and then a giant can of Milwaukee's Best comes down and crushes him. I think the tag line is "men should act like men".

Anyway I was wondering how it feels from underneath that big giant can Travis

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

In college I would open can of a "Beast Light" and leave it on my nightstand before passing out. I drank it warm and flat when I woke up the next day to take the edge off. I got crushed by that big giant can back then for sure! These days, I just wear my checker shirt. Does that answer your question, Paulie?