Sunday, February 03, 2008

Right Action

One of the steps in Buddha's Eightfold Path toward enlightenment is called "Right Action." Others call it the Five Mindfulness trainings. Still others refer to this as the Five Precepts. No matter what its called, it simply is a short list of five vows every Buddhist must take.

1. "Refrain from killing." This includes all sentient beings. It also forbids contributing to the death of living beings by destroying the enviornment or giving cause for someone else to kill something as a result of your actions.

2. "Refrain from stealing." This includes living simply so as to not use more than our share of resources. It also includes not exploiting others for our personnal gain.

3. "Refrain from sexual misconduct." Buddha included most acts that we consider to be immoral as such. He also included sex without love.

4. "Refrain from false speech." Obvioulsy, we should never lie. We should also speak in a manner that nurtures loving kindness instead of rousing people to anger. We should avoid exaggeration, too.

5. "Refrain from abusing intoxicants." This one is tricky. There are some who believe Buddha meant to avoid any consumption of drugs or alcohol. Others believe moderation was the intent. Some think that drinking a glass of wine or beer a day is actually healthy, therefore making it acceptable. The idea is that from intoxication bad results follow, thus causing suffering.

These precepts are intended to act as a guide for Buddhists navigating their way toward enlightenment by building up good Karma. Breaking these precepts creates suffering and bad Karma. Following them relieves suffering, which is the purpose of a Buddhist's existence in this world. By following these Five Mindfulness Trainings, we can make the world a better place. See how simple it is to find happiness and purpose in life?

I am trying to live by these precepts as best as I can. It is difficult to break old habits. I drink in moderation (most of the time.) I catch and release when I fish. I try to be truthful. I don't steal. I refrain from sexual misconduct. Overall, I am doing pretty good but I know I can do better. And that is the point, I think. We can always do better. Nobody is perfect. But we can try to be better people. That is what I meant when I made my New Year's Resolution to ask myself "What would Buddha do?" before I act. Following these precepts is a simple way to do just that.

No comments: