Thursday, February 28, 2008

What's more important than family?

Nothing is more important than family. I have always been a proud member of the Naughton family. But I am also a member of my mom's side of the family- the Kellers. Mom was originally from California and moved to Missouri after marrying my dad. Over the years, she drifted apart from the Kellers and lost contact with most of them. Recently, she has been in touch with her sister who was kind enough to extend to Mom, Blake, and I an invitation to attend the Keller family reunion on Labor Day weekend. I am very excited to go, because I have many relatives that I have never met before who will be there. Four of my five first cousins on the Keller side will be there with their families. I have no memories of any of them, although I may have "met" them when I was too young to remember. It hasn't really sunk in yet that I will have the chance to get to know that many people so closely related to me all at once. Its almost overwhelming to think about. With that in mind, I asked my Aunt Linda for any contact info on attendees so that I may introduce myself to them in advance of the big day. Less than one day after emailing all of them, almost all of them sent a very thoughtful reply. It seems they are just as excited to meet the Naughtons as we are to meet them. I can't wait.

Families are complicated. Families are messy. Famlies are a blessing. Usually, a person has to get married to double the size of their family. I've already been there (with good results I might add.) Today, when I checked my email, I felt like my family just doubled in size again. That's pretty damn cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I probably qulify as the family black sheep, meeting everybody else will be a picnic, at a picnic, no less. The only "grownup" relatives I've seen in eons are Larry and Gregg, who are totlly awesome by my recollection. Haven't seen Tina an Tracy for even longer of eons. But I did email with Tina, til I changed computers and lost her email address. So, I too am looking forward to becoming reacquinted with the Naughton-Barr clans, et al. My guys have alsways been all the family I needed, but ih my current situation, I'm propbably becoming burdomesome. Wait'll you get to meet my grandson, Bruiser. He's a hoot and sharp as a tack. And My other son, Blake and his great wife, Meredith, two of the hardest working Yuppies around. Like Trav, really looking Forwar ro august 31.

yo mama said...

Since I probably qualify as the family black sheep, meeting everybody else will be a picnic, at a picnic, no less. The only "grownup" relatives I've seen in eons are Larry and Gregg, who are totlly awesome by my recollection. Haven't seen Tina and Tracy for even longer of eons. But I did email with Tina, til I changed computers and lost her email address. So, I too am looking forward to becoming reacquinted with the Naughton-Barr clans, et al. My guys have always been all the family I needed, but ih my current situation, I'm propably becoming burdomesome. And they will greatly enjoy new blood. Wait'll you get to meet my grandson, Bruiser. He's a hoot and sharp as a tack. And My other son, Blake and his great wife, Meredith, two of the hardest working Yuppies around. Like Trav, we are all looking forward to August 31st.

Anonymous said...

Thats cool,
Going to have some watermelon or do you still believe you are allergic?
I have never really known my dads side of the family. He died when I was 6 months old. Most of them didnt make any effort to be a part of my life, then when I was older they were like "you should come over" I coulda/shoulda but by then I was like "and you are?" bad form on my part, glad to see you are not doing the same.
~Martin