Thursday, October 09, 2008

Finalized Adoption Plans


There's no turning back now. Because we received confirmation of our travel dates to and from China, Bethany bought our plane tickets yesterday. Our itinerary is as follows:


(Confirmed travel dates: October 30 thru November 15)

Thurs, Oct 30, leave the US
Fri, Oct 31, arrive in BJ (Beijing)
Sat, Nov 1, sightseeing in BJ
Sun, Nov 2, fly to your child's province (if you do not want to travel to BJ, you can arrive in the capital city of your child's province on Sunday afternoon)
Mon, Nov 3, meet your child
Tues-Fri, Nov 4 – Nov 7, adoption process in the province with free days and sightseeing
Sat, Nov 8, Fly to Guangzhou
Sun, Nov 9, free day
Mon, Nov 10, medical for children
Tues, Nov 11, free day
Wed, Nov 12, free day
Thurs, Nov 13, ACS appointment (American Consulate)
Fri, Nov 14, take oath at the ACS and get child’s visa late in the day
Sat, Nov 15, return to US.


We will arrive in Kansas City at 5:15 on the 15th. So, it looks like our new son will be sleeping in his new bed in his new home with his new family that evening! As you can imagine, we are getting quite anxious now. I made a deal with Bethany- if she promises to handle the logistics then I promise not to let myself get too freaked out. You see, I hate not having control in a situation. This journey requires me to put my complete trust in our agency, the airlines, taxi drivers, Chinese and American government officials, etc. I have to "let go" and allow everyone to do their jobs while I just go along for the ride. That's a little overwhelming for this old country boy. But, with Bethany at my side and a little boy on the other side of the world who needs me, I'll do my best to hold myself together. Don't be surprised if after we return home, I may need a few days to "decompress" before I start feeling like my usual care-free self again. Those of you who will be visiting our house for Thanksgiving will get to meet your new nephew, cousin, grandson for the first time. Hopefully by then, I will have regained my tenuous grip on sanity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To say that I am ecited for you would be a gross undrstatement. Actually excited for all of us. Hang in there, Travis. Have we named the newest Naughton yet? Something we can all pronounce? This is the biggest WOW in my little life, that's for sure.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

No names yet, but are entertaining suggestions.