Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Silver & Black Hack

Ever since I can remember, I have been a fan of the Oakland Raiders. Back in the 1970's, they along with the Pittsburg Steelers were the two most dominant teams in the AFC. In the 1980s, the Raiders made two more Superbowl appearances while the Steelers faded. So, I eventually became predominantly a Raiders fan. I didn't just root for them to drive Chiefs fans crazy (although that was quite fun.) I didn't wear the Silver & Black just to look like a gang-banger, either. I was a true fan of the team. That's right- I said I was a fan of the team.

Al Davis, the owner of the Raiders since the 1960s, used to run one of the most feared organizations in all of sports. Coaches like John Madden, Tom Flores, and Jon Gruden were football gurus who each led their teams to glory. I knew things were taking an ugly turn when Gruden left for Tampa Bay and beat the Raiders in the Superbowl. The Raiders have hired five different head coaches since then and the micromanaging style of ownership that Davis has always employed is now poisoning the organization. Davis had made questionable draft picks, ridiculous free-agent signings, and multiple hirings and firings of lousy coaches. He fired Mike Shanahan and refused to pay his remaining salary. Shanahan of course went on to torment Davis's Raiders as head coach of the Denver Broncos. Oh yeah, he also won two Superbowls there. Davis has moved the team without NFL permission twice, publicly embarrassed Hall of Famer Marcus Allen by benching him during the prime of his career, and has recently fired head coach Lane Kiffin only 18 games into his career while calling Kiffin a whiner, a liar, and an embarrassment during a press conference. The team is a complete failure and it is entirely Al Davis's fault. Therefore, I hereby renounce my citizenship as a member of "Raider Nation." From this point on, I am reverting to my back-up team, the Pittsburg Steelers.

The Steelers have won five Superbowls. The team has been owned by the Rooney family for generations. They have only had three head coaches in the 37 years that I've been alive. Chuck Noll, Bill Cower, and Mike Tomlin are all class acts. They have taught their teams to be hard-nosed and good sportsmen. The organization is very professional and produces a great product for their fans. They are the exact opposite of the Raiders. I look forward to rekindling my love affair with the Steelers franchise. I get a little nostalgic thinking about all of the history associated with the team. Bradshaw, Swan, Harris, Blier, Greene, Greenwood, Blunt, Bettis, Roethlisburger, etc. I am proud to say that I am officially a fan of the Pittsburg Steelers.

No comments: