Friday, October 31, 2008

In China!

We made it! After leaving our house at 7:00am, we checked into our hotel room in Beijing at 11:oo pm (10:00am Central Time Zone). Yes, that means we travelled for 27 hours. We went from Hartsburg, MO to KC to Minneapolis, to Tokyo, to Beijing. No problems whatsoever, although I was pulled out of the boarding line in Tokyo and was subjected to a thorough search of my person and possessions. (Thankfully, they stopped just shy of a strip search.) And Bethany will have to admit, that at least for the first day of our epic voyage, I have been a joy to travel with. No meltdowns or panic attacks whatsoever. I'm pretty proud of me right about now.

Tomorrow we will tour The Forbidden City, Tianenmen Square, and the Great Wall with the five other American families also adopting a child. We will take lots of pictures and try to post a few tomorrow evening (morning for you.)

That's all I can manage to type for now. Haven't slept in about 30 hours or so. I think I started hallucinating a while ago. I could swear I just flew half way around the world and landed in Beijing. Can you believe such nonsense! Funny what sleep deprivation will do to the mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you made it. I have been thinking about you almost every minute. I am so excited for you. Jennifer

Ann Beck said...

Yeah! Keep the posts coming!

Anonymous said...

I am so envious! You are getting to see things I taught my students about in world history. I am also proud to hear how well you are holding up, Travis. It is probably because you are on a mission and the outcome promises to bring much pleasure and joy to you and all of us. Makes minor problems seem insignificant. Your adventure is just starting and I can't wait for it to end so I can have another grandchild to love and spoil. Thanks for keeping up with the blog. Love, Mamaw Wee