Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Love You Mom

My mom was a Marine. She took shit off of absolutely no one. When she was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer a year and a half ago, she didn't waste time feeling sorry for herself. She fought the disease with all her might. She endured three courses of chemo. She endured whole brain radiation to shrink the two tumors in her head. She endured stereotactic radio surgery to her brain twice. She endured traditional brain surgery when the radiation didn't work. She was a Marine, and Marines don't surrender. They fight. Despite her disease-ravaged condition, she only moved into our home three weeks ago at my urging. Even after suffering a massive seizure that rendered her incapacitated, she fought for three more days before finally succumbing to her enemy. She went out on her own terms, having never stopped battling. Mom passed away this morning in our home, surrounded by her sons, her daughters-in-law, and her grandsons. We were glad to have been able to keep her comfortable at home, so that she wouldn't have to endure the indignity of having strangers care for her at a nursing home or hospital. Because she hated funerals, we are having her remains cremated and later Blake and I will scatter her ashes at sea off the coast of her beloved native land of California.

I would like to thank all of my family and friends who have supported us throught the last 18 months. I have not always been the comedian my fans expect of me, but I think you will probably forgive me for that. I would like to especially thank my wife, my brother Blake, and his wife Meredith. Without them, I doubt I could have survived these last few months. They are the greatest trio of human beings I have ever or will ever know. Last, but not least, I want to thank my mom. Thank you Mom for raising Blake and I to know the difference between right and wrong. Thank you for teaching by example how to serve others through your volunteer work. Thank you for loving me, especially at times in my life when I didn't even love myself. Thank you for not letting me get away with being less that the man I was destined to be. Thank you for indulging my whims throughout my childhood. Thank you for snuggling with me when I was little. Thank you for helping coach my little league teams. Thank you for teaching me how to bowl. Thank you for going to all my band concerts. Thank you for providing for my health and happiness. Thank you for being my mom. I love you. I will always love you.

Bill Herrin and his wife Abby brought a baby girl into the world just as Mom passed away this morning. (Congratulations to you both.) The circle of life cannot be broken. Neither can the love between a mother and her son. I love you Mom. I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your mom. She will be greatly missed. Remember you all will always be in our hearts and prayers. Love, Butch & Kelly

Anonymous said...

Saddened to hear about your mom. I'll remember her for her spirit and love of life. To no small measure why I enjoy your company.