Monday, December 08, 2008

"Travis, your dog shit in my bed."

My best friend and college roommate Bill Herrin spoke flatly as he repeated the sentence, "Travis, your dog shit in my bed." A normal person would respond to this announcement with an "I'm sorry" or "I will rectify this situation" or even an incredulous "What?!" But not me. In the early 1990s, I was not always a happy person and my self-loathing often translated to defensiveness, temper tantrums, and various other ridiculous behaviors.

"What do you want me to say, Bill?" I demanded.

"Travis, your dog shit in my bed."

"Okay, Bill. I get that. What do you want from me?!"

"Travis, your dog shit in my bed."

At this point I launched into a blind rage. I knew that my dog "Blondie" (a cocker spaniel mix/ love of my life) was guilty, but Bill's flat demeanor twisted my guilt into fury. We lived in a makeshift fraternity house with a dozen other guys- two of whom showed up with puppies on move-in day. There were piles of dog crap everywhere you looked in that house. Truth is, the place was so filthy that dog shit actually enhanced the smell of the place. I knew the dog had to go, but I had to offer some resistance to the idea of parting ways with my baby. I did what felt natural- I threw an ottoman across the room in Bill's general direction.

"Travis, your dog shit in my bed." Bill was so calm. That made me even more upset. I was so enraged that I began losing my tenuous grip on reality. I envisioned ways to disembowel him and feed his entrails to Blondie. How could he be so expressionless? How could he just sit there and repeat that same understated phrase like a meditating Buddhist monk while raw emotion spewed from me like superheated ash from Mt. St. Helens? I had to kill him. But first I had to wash his sheets.

I would have my revenge eventually. Later that same semester, the following took place in our room one night after many, many beers were consumed.

"Travis, you're pissing on my clothes!"

I stared blankly at my shocked and dismayed roommate.

"Travis! You're pissing on my clothes!"

"Shut the f*** up, Bill!"

"Travis!!! You're pissing on my clothes!!!"

Oh, how the tables were turned. This time Bill was the one who was unreasonably angry while I remained unflappable. While he sat up in bed and shouted at me to stop urinating on his clothing, I maintained my singular focus by filling all four of his dresser's drawers. According to Bill, while he continued to yell at me, I calmly finished up and then went back to bed without saying another word.

I did a lot of laundry the next day. Bill and I have been cool ever since. Now that's a good friend. I mean really- he never did my laundry.

No comments: