Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas in Philly

After a brief weather delay, our family landed at Philadelphia Airport on Christmas night, where Blake was waiting to drive us to his apartment. As we approached the vehicle, Bethany said, "Blake, I didn't know you owned an (Honda) Odyssey." To which I replied, "He doesn't. You do. Merry Christmas!"

For months, if not years, my bride has wanted an Odyssey van. About a month ago I asked her what year, miles, and price range she was thinking about. Lo and behold, I found a 2002 with 96,000 miles that had only one previous owner, located in Philly. The year, miles, and money were right for Bethany, so I bought the van, unbeknownst to her.

Blake and Meredith actually test drove the van and handled the transaction for me. (Thanks you two!) My biggest challenge was keeping the secret for a month. When Bethany finally grasped the fact that the van was hers, she was thrilled. She couldn't believe that I kept it a surprise for so long. "But how will we get it home?" She asked.

I gave her three options. The whole family could drive back together (about 16 hours). I could drive home by myself. Or Alex and I could go on a father/son road trip. Plan "C" was agreed upon. I look forward to the journey.

Here in Philly, we have gone to an IMAX movie called "Under the Sea", ran up the steps to the museum that Sly Stallone did in "Rocky", ate cheesesteaks at world famous Pat's Steaks, and spent a lot of time playing with baby Kennedy. Today we will see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and Truman will get to ride a train for the first time (something he has been wanting to do since forever.)

Hope you're having a happy holiday season. Be thankful for your many blessings and for your family. For the second year in a row, tragedy has struck the Naughton family at Christmas time. My Uncle Mike (my dad's brother) died suddenly of a heart attack on Christmas Eve while visiting his daughter in New York City. Our thoughts and prayers go out to my cousin Dora and her mom Kay as well as my grandmother Jean (Grandma Sweetie Pie, who has been in the hospital herself for a week or so) for the loss of her son, and to my dad for the passing of his brother. Parents shouldn't be allowed to die during the holidays. (Last year, Bethany lost her dad one week before Christmas and I lost my mom the week after.)

The moral of the story is to enjoy life as much as possible while you can. Buy a van to surprise your wife. Fly to Philly to visit your new niece. Eat one-too-many cheesesteaks now and then. Pretend to be Rocky and race your son up the steps of the city museum. See the Liberty Bell. Take your kid on a cross-country road trip. And Tell your family you love them as often as you can.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Good thoughts, Trav. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!