Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year's Resolution

I am getting old. Or so my wife and children keep telling me. They delight in pointing out each new grey hair found on my head. They make comments about my beer belly. But they also sincerely worry about my health, specifically my cardio-vascular fitness. Some families are known for their philanthropic work. Others for their success in athletics. Mine is known for having heart conditions. My grandfather had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass. My dad had a heart attack and a stint inserted into an artery. His brother just died of a heart attack on Christmas Eve. My brother Blake and I both have irregular heartbeats that lead to fatigue and a general feeling of "I'm not a doctor, but it seems like a bad thing when my heart stops beating dozens of times per day." To my knowledge, due to heart problems, no Naughton man has blown out more than 65 candles on his birthday cake. So, I think my wife may be right to worry.

My New Year's Resolution is to take care of my heart. I will try to eat more fruits and vegetables, not eat as much fried foods, and limit my alcoholic consumption to anti-oxidant rich dark beers and red wines (in moderation of course.) I'll start taking a heart-wise multi-vitamin as well. I will try to exercise more often. I have been walking on our treadmill several times per week lately and will add cycling to the mix when the weather warms up. Maybe I'll start hitting the punching bag once in a while, too, just to remind it who's boss. Finally, the best exercise for my pumper is to love my family will all of my heart. That should be the easy part I think.

Happy New Year!

No comments: