Monday, January 11, 2010

Snow Honey

After Bethany and Alex left for work and school this morning, Truman and I settled back under the covers to watch cartoons and get a little more rest. Within two minutes, the phone rang.
"Hello?"
"I'm stuck in the stupid driveway in a stupid snowdrift and now we're going to be late," my lovely wife said with a tinge of rage in her voice.
"Oh, okay. Just give me a minute," I replied while shaking the sleep from my brain in an effort to comprehend what she was saying. I hung up the phone and walked to the kitchen window. I looked outside, but saw no van in the driveway. Confused, I called Bethany back.
"Hello?" It was Alex.
"Hey buddy. Let me talk to Mommy."
"She said to ask what you want."
"I want to know where you guys are. I don't see you in the driveway."
"We're stuck on the hill in the snow."
"Tell Mommy I need to talk to her please."
"She said she's busy."
"Too busy to talk to me? Tell her I have to talk to her right now."
"What do you want?" my sweet-natured bride began. "I'm trying to dig this van out and the gas light came on and now you're bothering me..."
"You called me, remember?"
"Well I don't have time to talk right now and I'm pissed off."
"I can tell. But I just wanted to know where you are so I could come pull you out with the truck."
"Oh. We're on the hill by the mailboxes. When I couldn't make it up on the first try I backed down for another run but went off the road into a pile of snow."
"I'll be right there." Truman and I scrambled to get dressed and jumped in the truck. I spotted the van on the gravel road at the end of our steep driveway. I parked and approached the vehicle and its distressed driver with caution.
"Thanks for coming to pull us out," Bethany said sheepishly.
"No problem. In the future, when you call someone to say you're stuck in the snow and they call back to find out exactly where you are because they are willing, early on a cold morning, to root around in the snow and come pull you out, you should probably take the call instead of insisting that you're too busy to talk and making the nine year old tell your would-be rescuer to ask, 'What does he want? and 'Tell him I can't talk right now'. Okay sweetie?"
"Okay." And then my beautiful wife smiled and laughed at herself, and I hooked the chain to her van and pulled it right up the hill. "Thank you. I love you."
My pleasure.

No comments: