Monday, January 25, 2010

At Last

I started to write a novel way back in 2005. I muddled through the first four chapters until I realized that the awkward work of fiction could never be completed. I began a second novel in 2008 that had great potential, but suffered the same problem as the first: it was forced, contrived, and not very good.

Today, I just completed authoring my first book. I gave up on the idea of a fictional version of my life's story because in my case, the truth is way more entertaining than fiction. My non-fiction collection of humorous and sometimes poignant essays combine to form a memoir of sorts, although I am hesitant to use that term to describe the book. Rather, I compare it to a music album. Each song is strong enough to stand on its own, but when played in order on a full-length record, they combine to create a cohesive volume of work. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album is a good example of what I mean. Any particular song on that album is a hit. But when you play the entire record from start to finish, you discover a masterpiece.

My book may not be a masterpiece, but it is the culmination of a lifetime of mistakes, adventures, highs, and lows that when written about in this form, combine to become my greatest creative achievement. My life's story is tragic and triumphant. It is disturbing at times and inspiring at others. The reader will want to slap me one minute and hug me the next. My hope is that it will entertain and enlighten whomever is brave or bored enough to read it.

So keep an eye open and watch for "Naked Snow Angels" to come to a bookstore near you; hopefully in the not-so-distant future. And thank you for all of the encouragement you have given me throughout this process and throughout my life.

No comments: