Friday, April 07, 2006

What a Day!


You are looking at a picture of Alex and the largemouth bass that he caught all by himself today. I believe it weighs between 5 and 6 pounds. He hooked it, reeled it to shore, and I just grabbed it out of the water. It is bigger than any fish I have ever caught in my 30 or so years of fishing. I held it in a puddle of water while Alex ran home (from our neighbor's pond) to get the camera. He came back empty handed, so I had him hold the fish in the puddle that was mostly cut off from the pond itself while I ran back for the camera. When I returned, he was holding his head in his hands sobbing. I asked what was wrong and he said, "It was too strong," and he pointed to the pond. I looked down and saw that the fish was stuck in some weeds and I was able to grab it. He was afraid I would be mad at him for losing the fish. I told him how proud I was that he caught such a big bass and that I wouldn't have been mad if it got away. He managed to smile and hold his catch for the camera. Not too shabby, eh?

Oh yeah. We also went to the park, had a picnic, flew a kite, went to the library, and played with Grant and Brenda's new puppy today.

And I found out yesterday that I am officially the new manager at Doggie Empawrium. I'll start May 8th part-time and June 5th full-time when Alex starts school.

But come on...look at that fish!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one LARGE damn fish!!! Yeah, Bruiser for landing the one that usually gets away.

And, oh yeah, congrats Trav on the new j-o-b.

And, who told you to go fly a kite? It was Bethany, wasn't it?

Seamhead said...

What a Fish!!!

Blog Daddy? Manager?? Holy Hell. I guess it's back to living vicariously through Paulie.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Mama- I believe YOU have told me to go fly a kite a few times...

Seamhead- I live through Paulie, too...

Jagua- Tony Messenger is leaving the Tribune, so there is an available column...