Tuesday, May 09, 2006

First Day Surprises

What a Monday! When I dropped Alex off at his new pre-school, I introduced him to the director by saying, "This is Alexander and this is his first day of school!"

Nothing. A blank expression was the only response on her part. She and an employee simply stared at Alex and I as if I were speaking a foreign language. After a long, awkward silence she said, "And what do I need to do?"

I was immediately confused. Instead of greeting her new student with open arms and an engaging personality, the director of the center simply asked us what she was supposed to do. Her assistant, recognizing that her boss had no idea who we were or why we were there said, "I wrote it down on the list." I assumed that "it" was Alex.

"My wife talked to you last week and said everything was fine for him to start today," I offered.

"Okay," she said.

"We stopped in on Friday to pick up the paperwork and have most of it filled out. We didn't sign the acknowledgement of fees statement or the form that says we received the policies and rules because we didn't get one."

"Well, it will cost $90 a week."

"For part-time?"

"Oh, that's right. He'll only be here three days a week, right?"

"No. Everyday from 9 till 1."

"Oh, that's right. Well I don't know how much that will cost. We just changed our fees right before your wife called me. I'll fill out the form and have it for you when you come to pick him up. You can still sign the sheet that says you received a copy of the policies though."

"We didn't get that, so we can't sign it."

"Oh you didn't get that?"

"No."

"I'll get that to you, too."

"Thanks. Where do we put his backpack and coat?" We were in the dimly lit basement of the converted ranch house when we were speaking.

"Oh, just go up the stairs, turn left, walk down the hall until you see... Here, it'll probably be easier to just show you." It was.

"My wife said you begin your classroom sessions at 9:00, so I should have him here a little before 9. Is that right?"

"We actually start with morning prayers at 8:30 and then have activities and bible discussion at 9. Are you and your family Christians?"

Dumbfounded shock. Never at any time did she mention to Bethany on the phone nor did her assistant mention to us in person that it was a religios daycare center. "Uh, well I... we don't... we're non-denominational."

"We feel it is important to teach the children about God and Jesus in order to teach them how to be good Christians. That isn't going to be a problem is it?"

I wasn't prepared to debate religion or God and whether anything would be a problem with Alex standing right there listening. I simply said, "We like him to be exposed to all sorts of new ideas and religions including Christianity."

So then I had to make a decision. I decided that even though the owner of the facility had no idea that we were coming, had no idea what to do once we were there, never introduced herself to us, never welcomed Alex to his new school, and planned to indoctrinate Alex into the world of "Christian values" as she called it, that she couldn't ruin him in one day. I had to be at my new job in 30 minutes. I kissed him good-bye, told him to call me if he needed me, and said, "I love you." I got in my car, drove to work, called Bethany to boisterously voice my concerns (which she shared) and tried to concentrate on work. It was useless.

When I picked Alex up, he said he had a good time, and the director said he did really well. I asked her if she had the forms we needed and she said she forgot. Big surprise. Alex said he spent the majority of his day in the basement including lunchtime, Bible lessons, and movietime. He said the cartoon movie they watched depicted two people in the jungle walking around naked with a reptile. When they ate an apple, God made them wear clothes. Bethany called three other day care centers and we are visiting a fourth tomorrow.

So, how was your Monday?

2 comments:

Seamhead said...

What a crazy deal!! How could they not mention the Religious aspect? That's downright deceitful. The director sounds like real loon.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Jagua- I appreciate your help. I would have responded to your offer yesterday had I been online to read it. Tonite is the first chance I've had to get on the computer. My wife just checked out an in-home, licensed center tonight that she really liked and felt much better about. It came recommended by our previous day care provider that Alex went to a couple years ago which has no openings currently or else he would probably be there now. I may still have you do some investigatin' of the Branch Davidians to satisfy my curiosity.

Seam- Every Christian and non-Christian I have told this story to has agreed with your view and mine. I just can't tell if she was being deceitful or simply stupid. Judging by the way she handled everything else, my vote is for stupid.

The best news is that due to her ineptitude and delay in giving us a copy of the policies and fees, we have signed NOTHING! That means we will owe no penalty for not giving two weeks notice prior to pulling Alex from their clutches.

The worst news is that he has already made a friend there and says he wants to keep going there. They'll have to find someone else's kid to brainwash and someone else's parents to dismay.