Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Crocodile Tears

I'm sure by now you've heard the news of the "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin's untimely death. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, I feel like I lost a family friend. I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect. Steve was an inspiration to both Alex and myself over the past few years. To Alex, Steve was a window to the natural world. He showed his viewers how special and important each living thing on this planet is. He never disparaged any animal no matter what stigmas people placed upon them. This was an important lesson for us all. By showing us the intrinsic beauty in even the animals that most people recoil in fear of, Steve taught us that life is precious in all its forms. He valued animal life as highly as that of humans- a lesson not lost on my son.

Thanks in no small part to Steve's unique style and message, Alex has developed a real respect for animals. His passion for life would make Steve proud. In fact, on one occasion Alex played the part of TV naturalist while I recorded him with our video camera. He took his viewers on a tour of our woods, pointing out the various forms of animal habitat while lamenting the destruction of habitat and the loss of wildlife in other locales. Imagine a five year old describing how an old, dead tree provides habitat for creatures such as birds and raccoons. Imagine him expressing his sorrow that precious habitat is being lost to logging and development throughout the world. Imagine the reverence for life that a five year old can have. Steve Irwin had a lot to do with that.

When I stayed at home with Alex, we watched "The Crocodile Hunter" virtually every day. Alex was captivated by Steve's enthusiastic style and message. Any man that can convince children (and adults) that poisonous snakes and 15 foot long crocs are "gorgeous creatures" is a true role model for kids to emmulate. I enjoyed watching Steve live his life outloud, without a hint of self-consciousness. I wish I could live free of self doubt and from worry of what other people think of me. Steve was also an inspiration to me as a father and husband. He was a model family man. He was able to successfully work with his spouse (a feat not many of us could pull off) because he respected her, loved her, and treated her as an equal. He loved his children with all of his heart. We were priveledged to see him interact with his daughter Bindy, whom Alex is quite interested in by the way, during the years that he filmed his show. He was always careful to strike a balance between giving his child a chance to explore and learn about the world while keeping a watchful eye out in order to keep her safe. That's all any good parent can hope to do.

It is appropriate, I suppose, that Steve died as he lived. He was among nature. He was teaching the rest of us about the beauty of the natural world. He was filming a show for kids that his daughter was to co-star in. Right up until his last moments, Steve was still showing us the joys of living in this world. Fathers and sons, wives and daughters, lovers of wildlife, and Mother Nature herself, are all better for having had Steve Irwin in our world and in our lives. It is also appropriate, I suppose, that the sting ray's barb pierced Steve's heart. For it was Steve's huge heart that defined him. A heart that taught me, my son, and the world how to love unconditionally. I'll never forget the episode of his show in which Steve had to say "goodbye" to his beloved dog Suey. A man tough enough to wrestle saltwater crocodiles was reduced to tears while he held his faithful companion in her dying moments. I hope Steve felt the world embracing him in his.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will always remember him standing next to or holding up some critter so ghastly only its mother could love it, and saying, "Isn't she a beauty?" Long live his impact on Alex as well as the rest of the world.