Sunday, November 16, 2008

Home Again!







This series of photos is a tidy little summary of our 28 hour odyssey home yesterday. The trip was so long and crossed so many time zones that we saw the sun rise twice and saw darkness three times in one day. (On a personal note of pride, I peed in three countries in one day. Top that!) We started in Guangzhou China, waking up at 5:00am to catch a ride to the airport. We flew for over four hours to Tokyo and another 10 or so hours to Minneapolis. The first picture is of Mommy and Truman at the Minneapolis airport. It was at that airport that Truman was processed as a new immigrant. When the officer stamped his paperwork and said "congratulations" I struggled to keep it together in front of the several hundred other immigrants and families in the room. My son became an American. That's a pretty awesome distinction, and after spending two weeks in China, it's one that I'll never take for granted again. Then we flew to KC where Doug, Char, Oliva, Morgan, Duncan, and Grandma Glee were waiting for us. By "us" I mean Truman. Wow, can that boy work a crowd. He had everyone in stitches within minutes of landing. The second picture shows big brother Alex and little brother Truman in one of many smooches they shared. How cool is that!? Then, Nonna landed in KC, returning from Blake and Meredith's house in Baltimore. And she got some Truman kisses, too. After a lot of hugs, the Columbia-area family drove home. What a great feeling it is to be back. The third picture shows Alex and Mommy helping Truman brush his teeth last night. The final picture pretty much speaks for itself. Two brothers, cozy in their parents' bed, watching Winnie the Pooh and feeling happy and loved. I used to think the greatest sound in the world was that of a baby's laughter. However, during our drive home I could hear my two sons playing and giggling in the back seat of the van. That sound filled my heart so full of joy I could barely contain myself. I reached over to Bethany and gave her hand a little squeeze and she returned the gesture. She looked into my eyes and at that moment we both knew that our family was now complete. Beyond any doubt, I'm the luckiest son of a gun you'll ever meet.



No comments: