Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I Just Gotta Be Me...


After a fair amount of deliberation and libation, I have compiled my list of New Year's Resolutions. I find it is a delicate operation trying to find the balance between "being myself" and "striving to improve myself". I think this list will go a long way toward accomplishing this feat. The items are listed in no particular order:

1. Be myself. I can do a better job of not being self-conscious and worrying about what everyone thinks of me.

2. Have a more positive attitude. I tend to get a little over-dramatic when bad things happen. I need to learn to laugh things off that bother me.

3. Buy a new suit and wear it for no good reason. Even if I only wear it to sit at the desk in my home office, it will be more gratifying than only wearing it at weddings and funerals.

4. Drink full-flavored beer again instead of that watered down stuff with half the calories and taste. Moderation will ensure that my new suit will not have to be altered to fit around a beer-gut.

5. Be honest and fair while controlling my temper. This relates to my tendency to avoid and suppress my feelings until I inevitably explode in a fit of misdirected rage.

6. Become more spiritual, not necessarily religious. I would like to learn about several different religions and spiritual sects such as Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity and Islam. Then I can present them to Alex and let him decide which he prefers.

7. Take Alex on a weekly adventure. Plan fun stuff that we will both enjoy and then blog about it to share with our fans.

8. Write a novel and have it published. I have a good start on this one already. I have a 30 chapter outline and have completed the first two chapters so far.

9. Perform one altruistic act per week and share it with my blogging faithful. Maybe I can inspire other people to do good deeds in the process.

10. Save up to buy a hot rod family cruiser. Maybe the royalties from my first book will cover it. (Of course its not too late for everyone I know to pool their money and buy me that bitchin' wagon I blogged about recently. There are only ten more shopping days till Christmas, so get it together people!)

There you have it. Ten things I can do to make 2006 "The Year of Travis!" It will be hard to top '05, but the fun will be in trying...

4 comments:

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

I appreciate your continued, albeit misguided support. "Wait'll 'o6 gets a load of me! Wait'll..."

Anonymous said...

Great list! But the picture scared me. You looked a little like Danny Bonaduce there. lol

Brenda

Anonymous said...

jagua--my son, who is 14 does the same thing at weddings. No one was using the cameras on the table so there were tons of pics of him with everyone, and he is just pointing at people. One he took in the bathroom mirror, the guests license plates, the bottom of someone's shoe...the bride and groom (his brother) weren't too happy, but they got over it.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Almost 1,200 visits since April?! Too many lost souls out there!

Will we get quarterly updates of your progress?

Did I miss the countdown to coming out of retirement???